PDA

View Full Version : Two rather wierd problems

Jamezo
23-07-2004, 07:45 PM
ok, ever since about a week after I got it, Ride the Lighting by Metallica has not been playing properly in MP3rat, my player of choice. I have two sound cards, an integrated AC97 or something, and a sound blaster. the sound blaster is the default. now, what happens, is that when RtL plays, it will play through the AC97, and not my sound blaster. no other song does this.

it never used to annoy me much, because I had my headphones connected to the AC97, and would switch the output to it at night, as not to disturb others. now I have come into possesion of a pair of speakers that actually have adjustable volume+power. now I have both the speakers and headphones running out of the sound blaster, so I can never listen to it.

second problem, my browser is not displaying pictures, except at a few select websites, or when I copy the image URL and open them in another tab (crazy browser = teh best!). I have tried toggling 'show pictures' and restarting the browser, but that achieves nothing. it has been doing this for about a week. in case you are wondering, it's not crazy browser, it does it in IE too.

I have a feeling it may be connected to my use of dreamweaver, but that goes back longer than the time I have experienced this problem.

quite stumped right now!

nadius
23-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Crazy Browser is not actually a separate browser. It's a bit like a bunch of extensions that add on to Internet Explorer - in other words a problem effecting IE will probably effect Crazy Browser.

The only thing I can think of right now is to check in IE, that under tools>internet options>advanced tab, that the box for "Show pictures" is ticked under the "multimedia" section. (Although i'm pretty sure it will be cause you still get some pics.)

Hopefully someone else can be of more help...

On a side note, I used Crazy Browser for a few months a couple years ago - it's got some nice features. But now I use Firefox, it's got many nice features. ;) Plus better security as it's a separate browser - not just a "face" for IE.

You may want to consider trying it.

Dan

nadius
23-07-2004, 08:08 PM
As to your first question. Why don't you disable you onboard sound in the BIOS?
I also have onboard sound that gave me troubles, so I now use a separate sound card, and have had no trouble at all since.

(if fact, i thought not having your onboard sound "card" disabled through the BIOS would cause conflict with you "real" sound card...)

To access the BIOS on most pc's, press F8 at boot.

Dan

mikebartnz
23-07-2004, 08:22 PM
>To access the BIOS on most pc's, press F8 at boot.
DEl key on most of the ones I handle. Why they don't all use the same key I don't know. It seems to be HP, Compaq and the likes that like using other keys. Del, Esc, F1, F8

nadius
23-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Whoops, of course it's the Delete key. I made a mistake. :8} (F8 is windows boot options)
My apartments currently 32 degrees, with 50% humidity, and I'll be the first to admit that it effects my brain sometimes.. ;)

Jester
23-07-2004, 08:41 PM
32 degrees - ahhhhhhhh, Japan huh? Swap ya mate - it's freezing here in Tauranga tonite

nadius
23-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Tauranga? That's my hometown. Stop it man, you'll make me cry. It's another year (total of 3) till I'm home...

Elephant
23-07-2004, 09:19 PM
I have never tried the on board AC97 and sound blaster together.

If you insist on doing this then go find the sound properties in control panel and check on midi devices.

Just maybe the file you are trying to play is a midi file wich is associated with the on board sound.

I would disable the on board and use the real sound card.

Jamezo
23-07-2004, 11:06 PM
ya, I know all about CB being a shell for IE, just not sure if anybody here had experience with it so I played it safe. I tried firefox a while ago but honestly I couldn't be bothered downloading 100,000 plugins to get some functionality out of it. it's way of doing tabbed browsing certainly leaves a lot to be desired compared to CB, and I also resent that google search bar, just using the CB alt+enter domain completion is all I could ever wish for.

I actually checked the device manager and it's a Creative AWE64 (gooood MIDI, and of course I am not trying to play a MIDI file, it is an MP3 file...), and a Crystal somethingrather. I won't disable it because I use it for recording (Metallica = guitarist = recording!)
WMP will play it through the correct card (albeit bad quality for some reason?!?)

the pictures are working right now, I tried restarting, and not opening up dreamweaver before browsing. I don't see why that should affect anything, but you never know with this machine, it's highly idiosyncratic.