PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2002 - export of distribution list in Contacts

R.M.
23-07-2004, 07:28 PM
I am trying to give someone else the emails for a group that I do a newsletter for, so I want to export just one distribution list from my Contacts, so that the other person then has the emails. Obviously I don't want to give all of my Contacts.

I dragged the said Distribution list into a new folder, and then made a backup file of this. Then I copied this file onto a floppy. Unfortunately, the other person now says it doesn't open on their computer. I had a quick look at the floppy at work, and the files doesn't show up as the file I named - just 'Backup".

I am wondering if anyone has experience of doing this? Do you just put in the "correct" file name? Or is there something very important that I missed, or did incorrectly?

Many thanks, again in anticipation! :)

Cheers
R.M.

andrew93
24-07-2004, 01:23 AM
> I dragged the said Distribution list into a new
> folder, and then made a backup file of this.

How did you backup the file? Did you drag and drop? Or did you use the file export function? Or some other method?

> Then I
> copied this file onto a floppy. Unfortunately, the
> other person now says it doesn't open on their
> computer. I had a quick look at the floppy at work,
> and the files doesn't show up as the file I named -
> just 'Backup".

If the file is named "backup" with no extension, is there actually no file extension or is Windows hiding the file extensions for known file types? If you did an export and renamed the file "backup" and in the process of doing so, overwrote the file extension (either .pst, .xls or .csv depending on the export format) then that might prevent the other person from importing it.

> I am wondering if anyone has experience of doing
> this? Do you just put in the "correct" file name? Or
> is there something very important that I missed, or
> did incorrectly?
>
> Many thanks, again in anticipation! :)
>
> Cheers
> R.M.

You may want to try re-exporting it making sure not to overwite the file extension and trying the import again. Please accept my apologies for an overly simplistic response and possibly stating the obvious but I am struggling to understand this 100% - a bit more info on the file formats and backup routine will help.

HTH

R.M.
24-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Andrew - thanks for your reply.

>How did you backup the file? Did you drag and drop? Or did you use the file export function? Or some other method?>

I dragged and dropped the specific Distribution List into a new folder, and then I exported that folder. I then saved that as a .pst folder.

>Please accept my apologies for an overly simplistic response and possibly stating the obvious but I am struggling to understand this 100% - a bit more info on the file formats and backup routine will help.>

No apologies needed - my brain is very thin on a Friday night! The file shows on the floppy in my computer as having the correct file name - I'm wondering if in the computer at work it just showed up automatically as "Backup" and that I should have put the expected file name in. Work is very nervous about us having A drive access, so I was using another person's access, so didn't fiddle around! :(

Cheers
R.M. :)