PDA

View Full Version : Right click - send to > options

beetle
23-07-2004, 03:13 PM
when i do a right click to send a file, pic or anything to another place on my comp i find i have limited options.
(this is on XP)

I usually have:

compressed file
desktop
InCD drive(D:)
mail recipient
My docs
31/2 Floppy
CD-RW drive (D:)

i have to D: ? and no C: option is this normal????

if not how do i change it?

beetle

beetle
23-07-2004, 03:14 PM
beep emoticons........

beetle

johnboy
23-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Do a search for your sendto folder and then just drag the short cuts you want into it
hth

johnboy
23-07-2004, 03:43 PM
How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP
here (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310270)
here (http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_sendto.htm)

beetle
26-07-2004, 01:02 PM
hi ya.

thank you for your links, thank you for you help too.

after finally locating the send to folder, i find it has less things named in it that what shows up with right click?

how does this happen? i have 2 send to CD > D : ???

i was going to remove one but it only shows one in the folder, not 2 as right click shows.

how can i fix this????

this is not a good thinking problem for a monday....

beetle

johnboy
26-07-2004, 01:49 PM
It is safe to delete one of these as they are only short cuts on my machine i have four users and each sendto folder has different shortcuts in them. Click my computer then your c drive and goto documents and settings and have a look in each users send to folder to see what i mean.
Of course that's if you have other users.
hth

beetle
26-07-2004, 03:06 PM
ok

How do i delete these extra ones if they dont show up in the send to folder then????

how can i delete somethings that is not there ??

but its there when i right click?

beetle

Fire-and-Ice
26-07-2004, 03:33 PM
> ok
>
> How do i delete these extra ones if they dont show up
> in the send to folder then????
>
>
> how can i delete somethings that is not there ??
>
> but its there when i right click?

You can't see them because they are in different "user accounts" folders. What you see while you are logged in on your User account would be different to what the other user accounts see when they right click and view the Send To menu.

If you do a search for "SendTo" you will get more than one folder in the results. Double click on each one at a time (use the Back button to return to the list) and you can see that each folder is different to the others. You are now free to delete or add shortcuts as you see fit. ;-)

beetle
26-07-2004, 03:38 PM
But there's just me on this comp ? i have no other users set ????

that ghost again ya think?

i only have one user at all on this comp which is beetle???? there cant be more than one beetle.....well hopefully. :p

maybe its just a lemon trick again.

beetle

beetle
26-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Ok did a search and come up with zilch on the send to files / folders options????

so it doesnt exist then?

even when i had show hidden files and folders option ticked nothing there???

so please help? how can i change this stupid Bleeped machine who is seriously getting a shorter life span than normal to change this usless little send to option to how i would like it?????????

gggrrrrhh i hate this machine.......

nothing personal to anyone on pf1, but this monday itis thing is going a bit far......
managed to stuff up quite a few things today.....

beetle

beetle
26-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Does this apply?????

Give Up

Give up complaining . . . focus on gratitude.
Give up pessimism . . . become an optimist.
Give up harsh judgements . . . think kind thoughts.
Give up worry . . . trust divine providence.
Give up discouragement . . . be full of hope.
Give up bitterness . . . turn to forgiveness.
Give up hatred . . . return good for evil.
Give up negativism . . . be positive.
Give up anger . . . practice patience.
Give up pettiness . . . put on maturity.
Give up gloom. . . enjoy the beauty that is all around you.
Give up gossiping . . . control your tongue.
Give up giving up . . . hang in there!

its only monday......

have a good one.

beetle

Fire-and-Ice
26-07-2004, 04:00 PM
You might need to adjust your Search Options a little if you can't find the SendTo folders. My Search dialogue box has been highly customised so I can't remember what the default looks like.

In the Search dialogue box look for "More advanced options" where you click on the Down arrow to see more, then put ticks in the first three boxes. One of them will be Search "Hidden files and folders". Then you can try again. ;-)

godfather
26-07-2004, 04:00 PM
There is only me on this PC as well, but I have (and expect) 4 Send To folders. Located under:

my logon
Administrator
All Users
Default User

Pasting shortcuts to my Send To folder works fine.

I believe that in some circumstances you may also get shortcuts from All Users appearing as well as your own.

Have you got folders under the All Users and Administrator folders under Documents and Settings??

Pheonix
26-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Have a look here too Beetle C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\SendTo

You may have to open explorer, go into tools - Folder options - view and untick the "hide proected system files" and tick the "show hidden files and folders"

beetle
26-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Basically i have stuffed around doing this all afternoon and still no furtor ahead.

found send to in all other spots but beetle file....
still have 2 CD send to..... and have worked out how to add to this but cannot find the extra one to delete the blasted thing.....

any ideas?
and the docu settings peice you gave only shows up 3 items so thats the default setting?

help?

or learn to live with it?

beetle

Fire-and-Ice
26-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Looks like its normal Beetle - if you want the C: drive in your send to folder you can create a shortcut to it. I think the reason you have two D: drives is because one is for InCD and the other for Win XP burning. It looks look like you are stuck with the D: as it appears to be part of the system - there isn't one in my send to folders either (should of looked before doh!).

For the InCD entry if you want to get rid of that go to msconfig in Start, Run and remove the tick for InCD under the Startup tab. That will stop it running when your computer starts up - just fire it up manually when you need it. ;-)

KatiMike
26-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi Beetle , not sure if this will help you with your particular problem , but I find it makes R clicking a lot more functional ...

http://www.contextmagic.com/menu-extension/

see ya :)

beetle
26-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Thanxs all, i have given up on this one as the too hard box bit.

may have a look at that new prog, but as im using mostly firefox, dont need these options the same.
but im keeping my options open.

but isnt it frustrating when ya just cant fix something how you would like it..... i have found this a lot on these blasted machines....

ho hum,

beetle

Steve_L
27-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi Beetle! Haven't posted with your thread since a month or so ago when we had that marathon thread about which digcam you should buy.

About right click send to options: there is a little program that will do this, might be a freebie. Do I know what it is and where to get it? No! :^O But someone here on PF1 must know, and maybe we could do a search on CNET-Downloads. Dunno - wulda thot dat WinXP wud b able 2 do it somehow.

Hey, do you have your digcam back from repairs yet?? And did ur hubby find out and how did he react???!!! :^O :^O

Cheers - Steve

Steve_L
27-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Just read the following, via the post above:

http://www.contextmagic.com/menu-extension/
>>Context Magic v1.1.b2 (Free Edition) Context Magic is a Windows Explorer shortcut menu extension that greatly extends functionality of the standard Send To menu and allows to manage files and folders with a few mouse clicks.

Isn't this what you want, Beetle?

Steve_L
27-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Related to, but not exactly what you want Beetle:

>>OpenExpert 1.4 Are you frequently using a file type with more than one application but able to associate only one application with the file type? OpenExpert is the answer. Instead of messing around with a file type that has a fixed association to only one application, you get an Open With item added to the context menu of the specified file type for all the applications you decide. Version 1.3 lets you add applications more quickly to OpenExpert's menu; icons are displayed more properly now; you can display the "Last used" application separately in Explore's contextmenu; and more. OpenExpert is multilingual and supports English, German, and Spanish.

Download and info Here (http://www.download.com/OpenExpert/3000-2094-10203674.html?tag=lst-0-6)

beetle
27-07-2004, 11:13 AM
LOL

you really onto it today Steve :p

if i am using firefox as my main browser, will this upset the set of things?
meaning if i add a prog like those quoted, are these strictly used for windows / IE?

will have a look a bit closer to these 2 diff progs, when get a spare brain cell to concentrate with..:D

not really sure what settings i want in the send to option, but just confused about having two lots of the same thing in it to start with.
didnt realise to start they were aiming at diff progs though...... sigh....still a newb.

thanxs for the help otherwise.

beetle

Steve_L
27-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Firefox? Well well Beetle, I see you ARE a techygeek "and not just another pretty face"! :^O :^O Seriously, I will try Firefox sometime soon as I have heard so much about it, and of cuz it is not MS. :D

Oh well, I see you have sidestepped how hubby reacted. :( A tender and sore area I suppose.

I have downloaded and installed the two progs above, but have yet to try them - LOL.
Cheers - Steve

beetle
27-07-2004, 05:08 PM
LOL

im not any where near being a geek yet....... a geek in training maybe....just not the Geek yet.

Hubby?????? ooohh we dont need to go there just yet....... :D best leave that one well alone i think at this point.

Let me know how those progs get on though id still be interested to hear.

thanxs for the help

beetle

Steve_L
28-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I think I also am a geek-in-training. :D

Context Magic is a great freebie. Try it and see!