PDA

View Full Version : Ram / Memory test progs.

beetle
23-07-2004, 12:11 PM
hi ya,
was wanting to do this at some stage on my comp, but have since had comp formatted and cannot find the details of the prog i used last time.

can someone suggest or guide me to something - page etc i could find a suitable test to use ?

and is this what they are called ? or for?
i know there would be lots on pf1 search but actual help one on one is better than me reading screeds at moment.
and someone suggested it another post of mine, ? cant remember ...maybe its me who needs the memory check?

Ram = memory doesnt it?
having a good blonde day today.

nothing going right today :D

beetle

beama
23-07-2004, 12:27 PM
hi Bettle
RAM = Volitile memory (like mine, power off and stored there is gone :))
two Ram test programs that come to mind are goldmem (linux based) or memtest86, search the forum for a link to either I prestently dont have access to my home pc (work lol).

beetle
23-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Oh forgot to say,

XP home.
and are these available where ? on the net ? and free ?

thanxs beama

beetle

godfather
23-07-2004, 01:00 PM
memtest86 to Google.
Take the first link.

beetle
23-07-2004, 01:24 PM
um.

got to google and download file / prog.

got the zipped prog onto desktop but cannot get it to save to floppy like it says to?
it also suggests saving to local disk ? is this a better option?

i got lost i now remember last time i ran this...... no body to ask or walk me through it last time, so resorted to pf1 then as well.....

maybe need someone else to do this for me.

and how long is this thing going to take once its up and running?

5 hrs ? or overnight?

cant remember how long the last one took.

beetle

andrew93
23-07-2004, 01:29 PM
memtest : use the install.bat programme to create a bootable floppy disk, don't try and access the disk thru explorer when done, leave floppy disk in disk drive and restart pc.

andrew93
23-07-2004, 01:31 PM
> memtest : use the install.bat programme to create a
> bootable floppy disk, don't try and access the
> disk thru explorer when done, leave floppy disk in
> disk drive and restart pc.

.... after you have unzipped the memtest download file and saved onto your hard drive somewhere.
:)

Elephant
23-07-2004, 01:31 PM
> Oh forgot to say,
>
> XP home.
> and are these available where ? on the net ? and
> free ?
Memtest 86 is the one I use. Thanks Godfather.

Beetle. Download the Memtest 3.1 from here:-
http://www.memtest86.com/

Grab the Memtest 3.1a release.

Have a formatted floppy disk available as Memtest setup will create a boot disk for you to use.

After creating this floppy leave it in the A:\ drive and restart your computer. Memtest will start automatically. It will if your BIOS is set to boot off the floppy first anyway.

If not then get back for instructions on how to change the boot order in the BIOS.

With all the problems you have had with your "Lemon" I'm rather suprised you haven't done this before.

beetle
23-07-2004, 01:38 PM
i did, well the previous computer man did, i installed - muddled me way through it then and got majorly lost, he had never run this prog before so he was no help.
and i dont remember what it said or did after, whether it had a log or what,
nobody checked it for me, just going off what i said or reported to pf1 and presumed it passed then.

and then i found Metla, so much better, but he's a little busy to ask at the moment.
otherwise i would get him to help me.

way out of me league again.

nothing for the beetle to jump in the deep end and its then a case of sink or swim...

do i have to go into bios to change boot off floppy then????

wheres that set of instruction now......go to hunt the discard papers.....

:D

beetle

metla
23-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Beetle,call in the shop some time and ill give you a copy on bootable cd and show u how its run.

Pete O\'Neil
23-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Melta is that the bootable CD that has heaps of lil programs you can run independant of your OS? I vaguely remember on a NZ forum someone mentioned a bootable cd with heaps of lil programs to test stabilty etc, might have been whetu can remember.

beetle
23-07-2004, 02:15 PM
LOL thought youd be far too busy playing with new babe..... doing those father things that you do.

but yeah may do that.

thanxs

beetle

nadius
23-07-2004, 06:42 PM
It might be Ultimate Boot Cd he refered to, available from here (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com)

It's a useful thing to have, and was updated last month too.

Dan

metla
23-07-2004, 09:38 PM
> Melta is that the bootable CD that has heaps of lil
> programs you can run independant of your OS? I
> vaguely remember on a NZ forum someone mentioned a
> bootable cd with heaps of lil programs to test
> stabilty etc, might have been whetu can remember.

Indeed it is,The Ultimate Boot CD,The holy grail of rescue tools.