PDA

View Full Version : Howto: Make Firefox look good and manage Flash websites

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2004, 01:03 AM
I came across this:
http://linuxreviews.org/quicktips/mozilla/index.html.en

Very nice download (Flashblock) and review of Firefox :-)

Enjoy!

Chill.

pulling hair out
23-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Hi,

I have Firefox 9.2
Just clicked on your link and page didn't appear, so clicked again on it a few times.
When I glanced up to top of page I saw all these tabs belonging to the site, and realised then that I had to click on them to get page to display.

This doesn't always happen. Usually the site comes up straight away.
So, what is the difference between what tabs do and what windows do?

Have read other posts which sort of covered it, but its still got me confused, or should I say more confused than usual.

I have installed the Single Window extension. If I have only clicked on your link once, why would the page not appear. Why do I have to click the tab as well? What exactly are the benefits in using tabs?

Apart from that, I did find the site really interesting. thanks.

Regards Marg.

John H
23-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Wow, thanks Chill. Those flash ads really annoy me, and now with Flashblock I have the choice to see them or not.

You can't filter out Flash ads with Firefox, unlike other static ads, so this makes the Firefox "experience" even better.

Thanks

John

dougalc
23-07-2004, 10:55 AM
You can filter flash ads by cutting and pasting code from here:
http://texturizer.net/firefox/adblock.html
into your userContent.css file.

As it claims, seems to stop 99% of ads.

Susan B
23-07-2004, 11:02 AM
> I have Firefox 9.2 Just clicked on your link and page didn't appear, so
> clicked again on it a few times.
> When I glanced up to top of page I saw all these tabs belonging to the site, and realised then that I had to click on them to get page to display.

That is because the link was pointing to an "outside" website, ie one different to the site you are currently on, eg clicking on a link posted in a thread will open the link in a new tab, not in the window/page you are currently viewing.
>
> This doesn't always happen. Usually the site comes up straight away.

That will happen if the links point to pages related to your current website, eg on the Homepage of PF1, clicking on a link to another thread will open the thread in the same tab/page that you are currently viewing.

> So, what is the difference between what tabs do and what windows do?

Windows open up another browser window rather than a tab within the browser. When you have another browser window open you will get another Firefox icon on your taskbar. If you have tabs rather than windows open you will have only one Firefox icon on your taskbar and you can navigate between the tabs/pages by using Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown.
>
> Have read other posts which sort of covered it, but its still got me confused, or should I say more confused than usual.
>
> I have installed the Single Window extension. If I have only clicked on your link once, why would the page not appear. Why do I have to click the tab as well?

Hopefully the above makes sense to you. The Single Window extension makes the links open in a tab "in the background" which means you don't lose the page you are currently viewing. I find this really useful, particularly on forums when I haven't finished reading a thread but want the links open to read next.

> What exactly are the benefits in using tabs?

It keeps your taskbar clear, especially useful when you have lots of other programs running at the same time and also want to have lots of webpages open as well. I often have 30-50 webpages open so you can imagine how my taskbar would look with that lot as well as the half a dozen other programs I have running. :D

pulling hair out
23-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi Susan B

Thanks for explaining the tabs. Will be cutting and pasting it to a page I keep for notes on Firefox which is a great program.

You have certainly got a lot of Web pages open. My mind boggles :O
Can you really have that many tabs open, and does it leave much screen space to view the sites ? Do they become smaller in size on the tab bar or does another task bar open ?

Also can you close them all at the same time, or because they all belong to one window, you just close the one window containing the tabs?

Also, can you have tabs open in same window, of which some accept cookies, some for that session only , and some with no cookies allowed?

Funny, I started this post to say I wasn't confused, and here I am asking even more questions. ?:| My brain always starts with one thought and next minute its opening up lots of new threads. ? need more Ram?

regards, Marg.

No rush in answering,

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Im not quite as "good" as Susan - I usually keep about 20 websites open, but I keep other apps open also.

Seeing as I dont actually have a taskbar, Firefox is brilliant in keeping my windows together.

That SingleWindow plugin looks great! I'll grab it shortly, sounds like just what Ive been after.

While Im at it, I'll ask:
Who else uses ChatZilla for IRC?

Cheers

Chill.

Susan B
23-07-2004, 06:00 PM
> Will be cutting and pasting it to a page I keep for notes on Firefox which is a great program.

You need AZZ Cardfile. ;-)

Do a search on the forum for it with my username - highly recommended. :-)

> You have certainly got a lot of Web pages open. My mind boggles

It usually only happens if I haven't been to PF1 or another forum all day and there are lots of threads I want to read. I open them all up and then more pages get opened from links posted in threads, or I have to research a problem on Google - that usually means another four or five pages..... it all adds up. :8}

> Can you really have that many tabs open, and does it leave much screen space to view the sites ? Do they become smaller in size on the tab bar or does another task bar open ?

Screen space remains the same - all the pages open in their own tab window so I only see the page I am currently viewing. What does shrink are the tabs along the top of the window. It gets a bit tricky when the tab bar can hold no more tabs because I can't get at the others with the mouse, I have to use the Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown keyboard shortcuts. That's when I know it's time to close a few. :D

You can see what it looks like here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/firefox3.jpg).

> Also can you close them all at the same time, or because they all belong to one window, you just close the one window containing the tabs?

I have one Firefox window open with all my webpages open in the tabs and yes, I can close them all at once when I close the window if I wish, or I can close Firefox leaving the tabs/webpages open. I have Firefox/Opera set to ask me if I want to close all the tabs because sometimes I have a number of pages that I want to leave open. Firefox/Opera then opens just how I left it when I restart it. That is very handy. Opera is my main/default browser, by the way, but Firefox is the default on the older computer that the rest of the family use.

> Also, can you have tabs open in same window, of which some accept cookies, some for that session only , and some with no cookies allowed?

Each tab/webpage operates independently of all the others just as though it was another window, like Internet Explorer is. As far as cookies are concerned they are controlled universally, ie whatever you have set in Preferences applies to all pages opened whether in tabs or windows.

Hope that clears up a bit of the mystery for you. :-)

Susan B
23-07-2004, 06:11 PM
> Im not quite as "good" as Susan

Good? How does that make me good? It is not something I set out to do, it just.... happens. :p :D

> Seeing as I dont actually have a taskbar, Firefox is brilliant in keeping my windows together.

Doing without the taskbar is something I have been trying to do but it ain't easy. Old habits take a while to die. :D

> While Im at it, I'll ask: Who else uses ChatZilla for IRC?

Opera Chat (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/opera-chat.jpg) is even better. ;-)

pulling hair out
23-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi Susan,
Re: AZZ Cardfile.
As with a lot of things I would like to get on the net, there is the problem of how to do it.
Don't have credit cards. Also this place is in Lithuania [?sp]. Is that Euro $?

Any financial wizards on this forum who can tell me what $12 in Lithuania is in kiwi $ ??? They take PayPal. Also didn't say how long the free trial was for or whether it is easy to uninstall.

What happened to the free one that used to be available? OK so I'm cheap but do head for freebies, then bargains or wait for prices come down when it comes down to computer programs.
Have seen many positive posts re your AZZ on this forum.

Thanks so much for all the advice you have given me today - really appreciated it. :-)

Also, your page containing all the tabs was interesting. I wonder if it is possible when you have so many, that they could have a number or letter on each, or colour code them, to make it easier to see which tab you want, maybe something like your AZZ CardFile :D :D

regards, Marg

Susan B
23-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Marg,
The free version of CardFile is on the Download page (http://www.azzcardfile.biz/download.htm), right down the bottom. It is one of the older versions but should still be quite usable - the newer versions have had bugs fixed and enhancements made.

I am not sure which country the author is in but the program costs $US12 which I think worked out at around $NZ19 for me when I purchased it a few years ago. Are you aware that you can get it for free in return for helping out? Check out the bottom of the Registration page (http://www.azzcardfile.biz/register.htm) for more details. :-)

The registration page also gives information about the expiration date (nil).

It is an easy program to uninstall but I can guarantee that once you have used it for a week or two you won't be wanting to remove it. ;-)

> I wonder if it is possible when you have so many, that they could have a number or letter on each, or colour code them, to make it easier to see which tab you want,

Actually that would be very handy, you know. In fact I think I might see if I can get Opera to do that trick, as Opera is highly customisable.

A number of sites have "favicons" which appear on the tabs and that is really useful for identifying which site each tab is on. Unfortunately Press F1 doesn't have one though. The only problem is that the icons disappear when the tab bar is full, which is around 44 tabs in Opera in the window size that I use. :D

Anyway, I have decided to try and mend my ways and stick to less than 25 open pages from now on. Any more than that does get a bit ridiculous. :D

nadius
23-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Okay, I was interested in tip 4.1 "how to make fonts look better".

The options mentioned were not present when I searched in about:config.

So I added them manually to my user.js file. As expected, they now appear in about:config, but I see no difference with the fonts after restarting Firefox.

Has anyone got those options mentioned (font.Freetype2.autohinted and font.Freetype2.enable), and if so, did you see any difference in the fonts when you changed the value to true?

Firefox 0.9.2

Dan

Misty
23-07-2004, 09:51 PM
One thing I have not seen commented upon is the ability to reply to a topic in PressF1 and to look at all the previous thread easily by using tabs on Firefox. This is particularly good if you want to not only post a reply to the last post but respond to more than one post on the same topic. If you 'middle click' on 'reply' then you have this ability - then you can comment upon (or thank) the posts of "Chill", Johnboy, Susan etc at the same time by looking back on the previous tab. Great stuff,making you feel more confident in making an appropriate response or quoting correctly.

Was there life before Firefox and AZZ Cardfile ??!!!

Misty B-)

tommy
23-07-2004, 10:19 PM
> Has anyone got those options mentioned (font.Freetype2.autohinted and font.Freetype2.enable), and if so, did you see any difference in the fonts when you changed the value to true?

I think you may find that the font tip would apply more to Linux users rather than Windows users as the website hosting those tips is a "Linux Review" site.

John H
23-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Hmmm. I tried it on Linux without any noticeable change either. I have successfully changed both entries to true, but when I closed and restarted the browser, no difference.

A mystery.