PDA

View Full Version : OK! Forum speed is fixed, what about the FAQs then?

Billy T
22-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Loyal and faithful gnomes of IDG:

A mighty job was done on the Forum to get it up to speed, but what about the poor old FAQs. They are a very important part of the whole Press F1 concept, and sure, those in the know have found ways to access them faster, but they remain impossibly slow for those who actually need them most. :( :_|

Could all the FAQs and related posts be extracted and reassembled in some single location perhaps, or is there some elegant technical solution just waiting to be unleashed upon us.:8}

Is there any hope. ?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2004, 04:45 PM
What if they were to be made into new posts - surely at a place then in the HDD closer to the current data perhaps? :-)

metla
22-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I think they could all be trimmed down and the filler posts removed,Those 2 idiots arguing over Dick Smith and Mr T in the networking FAQ was a prime example of unneeded fluff.

When I was growing up, my family was so poor we couldn't afford to pay attention.

As a kid, I got three meals a day. Oatmeal, miss-a-meal and no meal.

I believe in the Golden Rule — The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.

Jibba-Jabba FOOL.

Jun,2002
22-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Just delete them.
They're a waste of time and resourses.

stu120404
22-07-2004, 05:18 PM
> Just delete them.
> They're a waste of time and resourses.

umm, the FAQ are Not a waste of time and resources.

Jun,2002 > Give us a Good reason why you say there are a waste of time and resources??!! & that they shoud be deleted?

Have you read any off them? At all?

For the people out there who don’t know that Press F1 have FAQ’s there are here: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.jsp?forum=1

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Stu:
Dont sweat it - This person is just being a troll

Just look at the "From:" field in their user details.....

beama
22-07-2004, 06:02 PM
I think the faq's are loading faster than they ever did at least in my experience
and my dailup is not the best

Billy T
22-07-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm on full speed jetstream and less than 2km from the exchange. PF1 opens in seconds and threads open just as fast.

However, while the FAQ list will open quickly, selected FAQs can take several minutes to appear. That is the problem. They are a little faster when there are very few people on line but not so as you'd really notice without timing them.

Current check:

FAQ #0 = 4m 03s

FAQ #30 = 2m 31s

Other's mileage may vary, but it is still a long haul nevertheless.:(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)