PDA

View Full Version : Burning Photos to DVD/CD

rockwood
22-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi
I have just changed CD writer to DVD writer and decided to remove all my memory eating photos off the computer but....before I remove I want to of course ensure that they are all safe on DVD or CD.
When I put DVD or CD back in the message
"Nikon Transfer etc icon shows and in front of that
There is no image in the camera or on the card
Exit from the programme."
I have used Nero Burning - the correct DVD or CD 'pulldown'
Burn and not Multisession and write.
can anyone throw any light on this as I don't want to loose my photos but they are eating up precious space and slowing my computer.
cheers Rock

godfather
22-07-2004, 02:59 PM
It sounds like you are using the camera software to view the photos, and that it expects to find them in the camera?

Use a common image viewer such as Irfanview from:
http://www.irfanview.com/

To view the contents of the CD/DVD. Its not "camera centric" like the Nikon software is, and will be simpler perhaps to use as a viewer.

I have never found any camera supplied software to be worth using, compared to other choices available.

Under Windows XP no software is needed. What version of Windows are you using?

rockwood
22-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi Godfather
Thanx for your reply...I am using XP...not sure what u mean x using Nikon as the viewer. Use Nikon software to transfer from Camera to computer. (I'm way novice here!)
I have put them in folders in Office Picture Manager then gone to Nero burning to put on either CD or DVD.
cheers Rock

godfather
22-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Put the CD/DVD in the drive, close any windows that might open.

Now use Windows Explorer and look at the drive (probably Drive D?) and open it up and see what is in there.

What I am suggesting is that you look on the CD you have burnt.
Do not have the camera plugged in.

Opening up a file on the CD (double click on it) and see what happens.

If all is well, XP Picture and Fax Viewer should open the picture so you can see it.

With XP there is no need to use the Nikon transfer software. You can use it, but you do not have to.
The camera will show up as a "Removeable Drive" under WIndows Explorer and you can drag and drop the photos from the camera to any directory you like. XP is very good in this manner.

I have created a folder directly under C: called "Pictures". I do not trust directories under the "My Documents" area, you can lose them if a log-in gets corrupted.
All photos get dragged and dropped there from the card, and stored there until they are burnt on at least 2 CDs that I have checked can be accessed before I will delete them from the C: drive.

Never trust a single CD copy. Photos can be too precious to lose.