PDA

View Full Version : Purple Computer?

vekon
22-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi. I'm not much of a monitor or PC technical person, but I do have an understanding.
My problem is that I have a slightly older computer but serves its purpose for the net. It has an old S3 Virge DX PCI video, 15" KTX PnP OSD monitor. And a VIA VT82C598MVP chipset motherbaord.
Your guess is good as mine. The KTX screen goes purple. Most of the time. But if I'm lucky, it will go right sometimes. Maybe doesn't like cold snaps huh? I have tried it on other computer but still purple pink. I've tried jiggling the cable and looking for bent pins.
I tried another monitor which is an old ALR VGA monitor only capable of 640x480, and that goes fine.... most of the time.
When I start PC up for first times, it sometimes shows up Black, white and grey. When I restart the PC, it would come right using the ALR monitor. A strange thing is also that when I use the ALR and when it sometimes goes black and white or purple, and then disconnect it and plug up the KTX monitor and then plug back in ALR again, it goes good.
Is the motherbaord or perhaps graphics card somehow causing it? I've tried another card but still effects monitors (mainly on the KTX).
Any help would be greatful :)

metla
22-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Throw both monitors away.

godfather
22-07-2004, 02:40 PM
To justify the actions that Metla suggests, check if your KTX monitor is one of these:
http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/recalls/rcl17.htm

These were sold in NZ, and are a safety hazard apparently.

Billy T
22-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Basically, if you are sure you don't have a plug problem, I think your monitor is afflicted with either an internal connection fault or the CRT has an intermittent fault.

It is probably a write off, but if you have the time to wait for it to load This FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=26660) may explain things better. Go make a drink or have dinner or something useful while you are waiting, or load it in the backgound while you get on with some work! Look at section 5.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)