PDA

View Full Version : How to change Network settings between 2 locations

roben
21-07-2004, 11:14 PM
One of our Directors is Moving between Auckland and Wellington Week Auckland Week Wellington.

How do we set up his laptop to change network settings at a click of an icon on desktop (bat file) One for Wellington using Saturn and one Auckland using Jetstream.

need to change SMTP in outlook settings as well.

OS is windows XP pro

Thanks in advance Roben

Chilling_Silence
21-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Will it be using a Static IP? DHCP?

Basically you _can_ set it up with a .reg file that'll change the relevant files. I did it on Win98 and rebooted after applying the settings. It worked quite well, Im not sure if its what you're after but it'd work?

Chill.

roben
21-07-2004, 11:24 PM
I guess I should of also asked how do you do the Bat or .Reg as you say

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Im running Linux and dont have any Windows boxes handy, but I just searched my Registry for my IP (It was static) and exported it. I then changed that key then re-exported it again with the new value :-)

Click Start
Run
Regedit

Have fun, I'll post specifics tomorrow if you need.

Chill.

Graham L
22-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Come on you Windows people. I am certain that there is an easy way built in. After all, this is a common thing. People carry laptops around and plug them in to different systems.

It should not need changing the Registry. :_| That is not a recommended routine operation for users.

I'm sure I have seen the thing in one of the Windows control panel pages ... but almost all my network cleverness in in *nix, and I've only got one main network so I've never needed to use it. I'd forget the details anyway.;-)

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Well, I didnt wanna go bragging about how easy it is, me running bash scripts Ive written in a matter of seconds that change my IP, mount samba shares, start/stop services etc because that wouldnt be fair... ;-)

I just stuck the .reg files on the desktop and ran them.

If there's a better way then I'd like to know because Ive got two people using Win98 (Which requires rebooting anyways) who are doing just that right now.

Chill.

CYaBro
22-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Right-click 'My Computer' and go to Hardware tab then Hardware profiles.

Copy the current profile to make a new one.
Call one Auckland and one Wellington.

Now when you boot the laptop up before it loads Windows it will ask which profile to use.

Pretty sure this should work as I have used it a few times but not for a while!

CYaBro
22-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Wait! Scrap that idea. I just tried it and it's probably not what you want.

Graham L
22-07-2004, 04:05 PM
That hardware profile idea is probably what I was thinking of, but it seems to be for W95/98. But if it's still there, the method seems to be to:
select System Properties, Hardware Profile, Copy (with a new name).
reboot, choose the new profile, and change its IP settings for the other site.
choose the approriate profile when booting.
(Guess who's been using Google;-)).

W2k has a netsh shell command which does it. Microsoft Question Q257748.

There are cheap programmes which do it, too. "NetSwitcher", and "Multinetwork manager 7" are two.

User Profiles can do it messily, it seems.

"change network settings between locations" was my Google string.

I'm surprised. I thought that XP would have made it easy.:D

CYaBro
22-07-2004, 04:21 PM
This (http://www.netswitcher.com) looks like what you

CYaBro
22-07-2004, 04:22 PM
> This (http://www.netswitcher.com) looks like
> what you
want