PDA

View Full Version : Applications have no icons

mister harbies
21-07-2004, 05:30 PM
One day I restarted my computer and all my applications lost their icons. I have tried to go to the application's folder to restore them by entering the application's properties. Does not work. I also used a few icon restore programs to get them back. This also is not working.

The shortcuts also don't show the icons, but I can re-link the icons back with the shortcuts only if I link them twice. I do this by going into the shortcuts properties. This is taking me a long time to do this, but at the end of the day, I would still not have the actual application with an icon.

What has happened? How can I repair the icons? Is this evidence of a virus?

johnboy
21-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Have you checked for viruses and used spybot etc.?
try these
How to Recover Icons Accidentally Removed from the Desktop
here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279109)
Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP
here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330170)
hth

mister harbies
21-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Oh, thats another thing, I have Windows XP Pro, if that helps.

It is not just icons from the desktop that are missing, but Internet Explorer also does not have an icon. I haver tried to to into the Internet Explorer folder to change the icon properties of the application, but they do not change.

I will try spybot, but doubt it will work.

Jen C
21-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Do you have TweakUI from Power Tools for XP installed (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx)? This utility has an option to repair the icon cache when your icons start doing weird things (like no longer displaying the correct icon to match the application). Grab the TweakUI.exe 147 KB program. See if this helps. :)

mister harbies
21-07-2004, 07:32 PM
What I found interesting about TweakUI when I downloaded it was that it also did not have an icon even though it was just installed on the computer a few seconds before.

TweakUI did not work.

Maybe it was a registry hack I did? But I did not touch anything relating to icons. Hmm

Spybot did nothing new.

Jen C
21-07-2004, 07:38 PM
>Maybe it was a registry hack I did? But I did not touch anything relating to icons. Hmm

lol - now is a good time to confess to a registry hack. Did you back up your registry before your modification? Have you tried a System Restore? Roll it back before the problems started and see if this helps.

What key(s) did you hack? Seems a bit of a coincidence that this happened after the hack.

mister harbies
22-07-2004, 10:04 AM
I just relised I did not do a registry hack.... I almost did it, then I reclised I had an easier way to do the hack. I used a program to change the default location of "my documents" and "program files" to another hard drive.

I have changed "program files" back to the original place, but it is still not fixing anything. It seems that the icons are not related to where the programs are.

I also did a system restore, but it failed. I also tried the last three days before the modifation, but all the restores fail. System restore actually sucks you know.

Mister Harbies

R2x1
22-07-2004, 01:10 PM
>>I also did a system restore, but it failed. I also tried the last three days before
>>the modifation, but all the restores fail. System restore actually sucks you know.

Oh, you noticed too ;) (It is actually only a suckers program if you try to use it.) It sometimes works though.
I suspect that moving directoties about will cause problems similar to your present difficulties. I also doubt that simply moving the directories (folders) back will be 100% effective. Someone may have an all-embracing cure for it though.
Good luck
R2