PDA

View Full Version : Xandros Problem

i-gordon
21-07-2004, 03:28 PM
When I logon to Xandros I get an Error Window with the message. The KDE mountwatcher is not running. Please activate it in Control Center >KDE components >Service Manager If you want to use the devices:/protocol. Problem is there is no KDE Components >Service Manager. I have Services & User Manager but neither list KDE Components. I have spent a lot of time on Google & F1 looking for the answer so far nothing useful. I am using the Mag Cover CD Version2 Standard. I have downloaded and installed all the updates and a few games other than that it is a standard install.

Graham L
21-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Open a terminal and do apropos mountwatcher. I presume this is something like the Redhat "supermount" service.

It's odd that you are getting an error message. Normally, if it has been set up to start at boot time, the problem is usually getting rid of it. :D

If apropos finds manual information for it, and it looks as if that's what it is actually called, try
service mountwatcher start or if that isn't available, /etc/rc.d/init.d/mountwatcher start.

i-gordon
21-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Graham
I tried all your suggestions nothing. I followed the path rc.d & init.d both in etc/ neither lists mountwatcher. I did a search for mountwatcher. Nothing

Jen C
21-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Well mountwatcher is part of the kdebase/kioslave/devices/kio_devices.cc thingy (http://cvs-digest.org/index.php?diff&file=kdebase/kioslave/devices/kio_devices.cc,v&version=1.22). What does your fstab look like - cat /etc/fstab. Are there devices listed which you do not have eg, floppy drive?

i-gordon
22-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks for your help Jen & Graham but none of this makes much sense to me . Probably because I dont know much about Linux. So I am going to reinstall from the start and see what happens. I may have missed something the first time. Thanks again for your time.