PDA

View Full Version : Safely remove device icon

nav2u
21-07-2004, 11:41 AM
hi guys,

i am running win 98se just bought a DSE USB 128 MB memory drive pro, installed drivers on disk and used it and works fine(read and write files) but there is small problem and that is there is no "safely remove device" icon in the task bar tray, any ideas as to how to get that icon so that i dont have to shut down my computer to remove the memory drive.

thanks
Nav

godfather
21-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Firstly, is there meant to be one with the drivers supplied?

The "safely remove" Icon is only to ensure that all writes have taken place before the drive is removed, to prevent the corruption of data on the USB drive when it is removed before the buffers are flushed.

I suspect you are right, and that there should be one but its not impossible that they could disable bufferring in the driver and force writes to take place immediately, in which case I cannot think why an Icon would then be needed.

I have an embedded card reader, and never use the Icon to stop the service, and have never had an issue (under XP). Even the device instructions only caution to make sure the read/write light is not active when you remove it.

Of course Windows 98SE is not all that good with USB anyway. It was not a mature technology back then.

andrew93
21-07-2004, 11:59 AM
From memory you don't get a "safely remove device" option with the DSE drivers under Windows 98 (I had the same issue) - the PC will usually beep when you plug it in and beep when you yank it out - and as godfather said, just make sure the LED is either off or no longer blinking before you pull it out. It's not a problem and I don't think there is a fix - although I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :D

Davesdad
21-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Right click on the drive in My Computer click on eject

nav2u
21-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Yes the icon is meant to be there as it is specified in the manual look at the following link if that helps at all. see page # 9.

http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/xh8181-3_manual.pdf

i have not tried removing it directly as yet but was made aware that if i remove it directly it can corrupt the file system on the pro drive which then will need formatting.

andrew93
21-07-2004, 05:14 PM
For what is its worth : I used a 128Mb DSE pen drive on a Win 98 PC for some months without ever having the "safely remove device" icon and it didn't cause any problems whatsoever - if I was stupid enough to pull it out half way through copying some files onto the drive then the individual files (on the pen drive) were corrupt but the drive itself still worked fine. Take a punt!