PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream Games

bk T
20-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Can someone please tell me more about playing Jetstream Games.

1. Do I have to login differently other than my usual Jetstream login, e.g. xxx.xadsl@xtra.co.nz?
2. How does it affect my normal usage?
3. Is it faster /slower than my normal speed (currently at 256K)

Cheers

Murray P
20-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Set your dsl router to login as user@jetstreamgames.co.nz (have to check if it's games with an s or without) you may or may not need to put a password in or just keep you usual. You can browse to either JSgames or ParadiseGames and it will work. I've had around 300KBytes/second (not Kbits, ie. compared to your current 28-30KBytes) downloading linux distro's and Americas Army. Have never palyed a game on the servers thought.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
20-07-2004, 10:25 PM
PS. You'll need to change your dsl router/modem back for normal browsing.

Cheers Murray P

bk T
20-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Is there any more information about this in Xtra's website? Apparently, I couldn't find anything.

Cheers

Jester
20-07-2004, 10:34 PM
> 1. Do I have to login differently other than my
> usual Jetstream login, e.g. xxx.xadsl@xtra.co.nz?

yes, use user@jetstreamgames.co.nz

Password - either leave as is or leave blank

> 2. How does it affect my normal usage?

It doesn't - all JSG Realm traffic is 'free'. It doesn't count towards your traffic quota.

> 3. Is it faster /slower than my normal speed
> (currently at 256K)

Much faster for downloading - at full Jetstream speed, depending on your line conditions . Don't expect better gaming pings though. Games don't use all the bandwidth and therefore, on my 256, I get around 40-50 ping for Battlefield, and the same on the JSG log in.

Once connected to the realm, go to http://ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ and look for something that interests you, download it and see what sort of speed you get.

You can look at the Jetstream Games Forum at http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/ whilst connected to the Realm, look to the forums for information regarding what games are available on the Xtra, Paradise and Jetstream Games servers.

J
:D

Jester
20-07-2004, 10:37 PM
> Is there any more information about this in Xtra's
> website? Apparently, I couldn't find anything.
>
> Cheers

Me again. Look here:

http://www.xtramsn.co.nz/gaming/0,,9267,00.html

kiki
20-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Only 300kBytes/sec murray? That's a bit on the slow side, we get double that!

Also I don't recommend downloading files off the webpage while browsing the FTP, use an FTP client like Filezilla (opensource goodness).

All-Seeing-Eye for searching the servers for games.

Murray P
20-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Yer, I've had higher but over a file downlaod I averaged 297KB. That's pretty good enough for me going from 128k ;)

Cheers Murray P

Greg S
20-07-2004, 11:30 PM
> Is there any more information about this in Xtra's
> website?

It sounds like you already know about the answers to your original question, but just want confirmation?

Go to http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/forums/ and ask the moderators there, they'll confirm what you ask.

metla
21-07-2004, 12:29 AM
any idea if this unlimited access/bandwidth applies to business lines as well?

Murray P
21-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Think it's ok for a Home Business line metla. Will have to dig out my usage for the GB's of distro I downlaoded.

Cheers Murray P

metla
21-07-2004, 12:40 AM
hmmm......My business line is in a commercial property,100 bucks a month for 600 tiny mb.....

Murray P
21-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Bout time you moved in there mets, nudge nudge ;) ;)

Cheers Murray P

metla
21-07-2004, 12:47 AM
If i could get some gaming done over my ADSL i would never leave.

kiki
21-07-2004, 12:50 AM
What happens if you are running a business from your home but on a full speed Home Jetstream account?

Greg S
21-07-2004, 01:14 AM
> What happens if you are running a business from your
> home but on a full speed Home Jetstream account?

Kiki - try it and see. I am certain all connections to jsg are free.

Metla - buy yourself a proper adsl account - 600MB is pitiful

Chilling_Silence
21-07-2004, 01:33 AM
300kbps!?

I was getting up to 700KB/s!

Greg S
21-07-2004, 01:40 AM
> 300kbps!?
>
> I was getting up to 700KB/s!

Me too, even slightly more :)

metla
21-07-2004, 01:48 AM
>>Metla - buy yourself a proper adsl account - 600MB is pitiful

Not likely,No way i am going to feed any more of my hard earned money to telecom,when it comes to business lines there is no value for money.

$920 bucks for 10G?

They be smokin the bad acid.

Greg S
21-07-2004, 01:58 AM
> Not likely,No way i am going to feed any more of my
> hard earned money

Maybe you need to become a bit smarter business-wise then, than you appear to in the PF1 forums, to earn more?

lmfao :^O

metla
21-07-2004, 02:30 AM
hmmmm.

Poorly executed,But you tried.

The point was that im not prepared to pay even more money to Telecom for a service that provides such poor value for money,Whether i can afford it or not doesn't enter into the equation.

bk T
21-07-2004, 10:12 AM
>
> ,Whether i can afford it or not
> doesn't enter into the equation.
>
Fully agreed with you, metla.

Greg S
21-07-2004, 10:58 AM
> hmmmm.
>
> Poorly executed,But you tried.

lol Touché. But I'll get you one day :D

CYaBro
21-07-2004, 11:13 AM
> any idea if this unlimited access/bandwidth applies
> to business lines as well?

Metla, I have logged in with the user@jetstreamgames.co.nz login at my work, which is in a commercial building not at home, and is on the 1800MB per month Jestream.
I downloaded Mandrake 10 iso's which is about 1800MB as there are 3 of them and it did not get added to our monthly allowance!
Go hard on ADSL games! :D

Growly
21-07-2004, 07:52 PM
1) There is no possible way that JSG can count to your allowance...

You aren't logging in with your account. You ain't even online to them.

2) Pings won't get lower, not so much because of the speed that games use, but because of the latencies of the ADSL network and equipment.

EG, in the same game:

Me, with ADSL:

I got a ping of 50 on 128K.
I get a ping of 50 on 256K.
I get a ping of 50 with 7Mbps.

Friend, with cable:

Gets a ping of 30 with 256K.
Gets a ping of 10 with 2 Mbps.

See?

Oh and 3) I was downloading two files at 480K each once :D

metla
21-07-2004, 11:44 PM
>1) There is no possible way that JSG can count to your allowance...

>You aren't logging in with your account. You ain't even online to them.

Reading the jetstream forums there has been many accounts of people having there usage charged onto their account,It remains to be seen whether it was user error but i do belive the charges have been reversed on occasion so thats pretty much an acceptance of being in the wrong.

metla
22-07-2004, 01:14 PM
hmmmmm...The variety of available games is a bit lacking to say the least, I downloaded America's Army,….2g install!!!, and it failed to let me create an account so that piece of garbo has been deleted.

Think I may have to purchase Battlefield 1942.

Greg S
22-07-2004, 01:21 PM
> I downloaded America's
> Army,….2g install!!!

That's strange - the download should have been 745MB (or are you referring to the disk space it needs?)

stu120404
22-07-2004, 01:32 PM
> I downloaded Mandrake 10 iso's which is about 1800MB
> as there are 3 of them and it did not get
> added to our monthly allowance!
> Go hard on ADSL games! :D

> 1) There is no possible way that JSG can count to
> your allowance...
>
> You aren't logging in with your account. You ain't
> even online to them.

Then you are very very lucky & must not have the JetSurf account as now since telecom induced the new Jetsurf plan the Jetstream Games Realm traffic is Not 'free' any more & any thing you download from there does count towards your traffic quota.

metla
22-07-2004, 01:55 PM
> > I downloaded America's
> > Army,….2g install!!!
>
> That's strange - the download should have been 745MB
> (or are you referring to the disk space it needs?)
>
>

Yep,referring to the installed files.

metla
22-07-2004, 01:58 PM
> > I downloaded Mandrake 10 iso's which is about
> 1800MB
> > as there are 3 of them and it did not get
> > added to our monthly allowance!
> > Go hard on ADSL games! :D
>
> > 1) There is no possible way that JSG can count to
> > your allowance...
> >
> > You aren't logging in with your account. You
> ain't
> > even online to them.
>
> Then you are very very lucky & must not have the
> JetSurf account as now since telecom induced the new
> Jetsurf plan the Jetstream Games Realm traffic is Not
> 'free' any more & any thing you download from there
> does count towards your traffic quota.

Stu,Your wrong,The jetstream ftp is free,Its supplied outside the packages one signs up for and it available to anyone without any effect on their usage metre,its completely unrelated to the free national traffic offer.

Please pay attention.

Greg S
22-07-2004, 02:07 PM
> the Jetstream Games Realm traffic is Not
> 'free' any more & any thing you download from there
> does count towards your traffic quota.

You certain about that? If that's true then it's very disappointing! :(

metla
22-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Its still free,my usage for the month is still showing 135mb,the 700 odd mb America's army download certainly hasn't been recorded.

Maybe people make the mistake of accessing the ftp while logged in with there usual user name.

Greg S
22-07-2004, 02:47 PM
> Maybe people make the mistake of accessing the ftp
> while logged in with there usual user name.

I bet that's correct

Jester
22-07-2004, 04:37 PM
It's still free as long as you use 'user@jetstreamgames.co.nz'. But then again, if you didn't change your log in and were only on 128 or 256k, you would not notice any speed difference. Remember to re-boot your router before connecting, if required.

I downloaded a 250 meg Battlefield Pirates file (YARRRRR!) last night and checked my usage this morning. It hasn't been added - neither had the 1.5 odd gigs of Forgotten Hope mod downloaded a month or so ago, not to mention the videos and other bits and pieces leeched ...

If you are unsure, don't enter a password, if you *are* connecting to your normal login instead of the Realm you will asked for a password, or fail to connect. If you get onto the realm you don't need a password.

J
:D

metla
23-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Interesting,Just spent the last half hour playing Battlefeild 1942,pretty damn sweet,I'll now have to learn the game and then head back.

Could swear i saw a few familier names ingame as well.

metla
23-07-2004, 01:28 AM
Forgot to add that im on dial up(the worst of both worlds,Jetstream with pathetic cap at work,dial up at home) and it worked silky smooth.

Very surprising.

Growly
23-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Hmmm... interesting.

Metla, I'm sure that's user error. They would have given the allowance back to save hassle.

>Then you are very very lucky & must not have the JetSurf account as now >since telecom induced the new Jetsurf plan the Jetstream Games Realm >traffic is Not 'free' any more & any thing you download from there does count >towards your traffic quota.

I am infact on the JetSurf plan.

Tell me this, if you are not logging on as you, how are they to know who to charge it too? Your IP Changes every time, and there is no way that they charge by MAC address!

So how would they know it was you?

Maybe you guys just weren't logged in?

Well I, for one, downloaded numerous gigabytes, all with no consequence.