PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update v5 & NIS

Mike
20-07-2004, 08:53 PM
I updated my Windows Update to v5 (still in beta), but I cannot do an update search or download updates if I have my firewall activated. I have to deactivate NIS to be able to get anything (which I'd rather not to do). Can anyone suggest how I can get into the site without turning off the firewall, either through NIS settings or Windows Update settings (or elsewhere)?

Thanks,

Mike.

Murray P
20-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Can you roll back the Windows update, update.

How about setting a rule in NIS to allow Windows update. It should have asked when the software was updated although, that will probably depend on what firewall permissions/rules you have set.

Not having NIS I can't tell you where they might be, or what alerts you might get but, for e.g: I have Kerio set to ask to permit any new applications to even raise one eyebrow let alone get on the net, no installer runs on this machine without Kerio questioning it. If you have your permissions set more silently then you may not have been alerted to the fact that NIS has decided to block Windows update.

Cheers Murray P

Mike
20-07-2004, 09:16 PM
> Can you roll back the Windows update, update.

Not as far as I can tell, but I'm looking :)

> How about setting a rule in NIS to allow Windows
> update. It should have asked when the software was
> updated although, that will probably depend on what
> firewall permissions/rules you have set.

Well that's what I'd like to do, but can't figure out how to allow it...

> Not having NIS I can't tell you where they might be,
> or what alerts you might get but, for e.g: I have
> Kerio set to ask to permit any new applications to
> even raise one eyebrow let alone get on the net, no
> installer runs on this machine without Kerio
> questioning it. If you have your permissions set more
> silently then you may not have been alerted to the
> fact that NIS has decided to block Windows update.

... because there was no alert from NIS to tell me that it was blocking it. I expected some kind of alert from NIS after the update, but there was nothing, so I thought it would just work. I don't know if NIS is actually blocking it (should have been an alert to tell me) or if its just not compatible with WUv5.

It's rather annoying :)

Mike.