PDA

View Full Version : Hard drives Booting

Peter H
20-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Have just installed a new HD. First set up as a Slave & partitioned into 3 with Partition Magic. On the first partition I then restored my original C drive from CD's made with Nero HDBackup - have used this many times to "roll back" in the past. Then set the drive as a Master, but it would not boot. Then used plan B and copied the C partition, with PM, to the new drive. Boots fine and all working well. Problem arises when I want to back up. C drive now shows - *:ONE Hidden FAT 32 Primary Boot 2.447.4MB Also C:ONE FAT 32 Primary 2463.1. This is the size of the original partition that I made - whem PM copied it, it created a new partition - the hidden one. Original HD shows C:ONE FAT 32 Primary Boot 2.447.4. When going to back up using Nero, the partition shown in use is not the hidden Pri.Boot, but C:ONE - How do I find out what is the main partition that is being used. Logic would appear to be the Pri.Boot, but gut feeling tells me it is C:ONE. System is W98se
Bye

Peter H
20-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Ugh Don't know where the smilys came from - should be "colon O"
Bye

Graham L
20-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Try FDISK /STATUS . That will show you which partitions are shown as bootable in a safe manner. Just remember that FDISK does all sorts of fatal things without asking when you use it to make changes . :-( Flipping that bit probably won't do any damage, but I suu[ppose you've got that bacjkup if necessary. :D

Mzee
20-07-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't know why you have 2 primarys if you only have one OS.

Make one primary partition and extend 2 sequential.
Make an Image of your bootable primary on the od drive and restore it to the new primary partition.
Use Norton Ghost or PQ Drive Image to do it with.

Peter H
21-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks to both of you - luckily my son turned up who grew up on DOS commands - got rid of the hidden Pri.boot, made the second Pri the boot one. Would have got there myself using PM, but easier his way. Wished I was more familar with dos
Bye