PDA

View Full Version : Brother Multifunction : compatibility with my pc?

beetle
19-07-2004, 09:58 PM
ok now we all now how i am with anything electrical.

so we are looking at getting a Brother multifunction MFC - 3420c for the front office - faxing, invoices, and the odd copying of stuff (bookin sheets) and a bit of book scanning.

am i possibly going to run into any probs with compatability with it on my comp? its running Win XP, and as you know Callista and a pabax etc, our phone person doesnt think so....any comments people?

at this point it is $349.99 and will be cheaper possibly to run than the current two printers we have (Epson 2 x black cartridges and 2 x colour cartrides a month) dont you think?

i need or should say want to be able to scan stuff out of books and fax mainly, as well as print out invoices for customers, that will be its main duty.

the epson is driving us up the wall, but budget has not allowed us to run out to replace it yet.

and is it easy to set up and use? anybody got one?

anybody?

beetle

Sb0h
19-07-2004, 10:10 PM
I use a Brother MFC-3100C as a fax, copier in my home office. It works fine, although if you have to replace the ink often it costs you big time, three colour cartridges at about $28 ea and the black @ $47. But in saying that I've only just bought ink for mine and I've had it nearly a year, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Sb0h
19-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Forgot to say the setup is easy as, the instructions are quite clear too if you need to refer to them. :-)

R2x1
19-07-2004, 10:13 PM
An "almost relative" has one, just plugged it in, threw in some paper and used it regularly since - absolutely no drama, kids use it without problems, all it needs is ink and paper and a light dusting occasionally.

A magically simple thing

R2

godfather
19-07-2004, 11:06 PM
I use a 3820CN, its the same as the one you are looking at apart from having a network connection as well as USB.

They are a superb fax, and generally "OK" at printing copying and scanning.

Mine runs on XP just fine.

Go through a set of cartridges reasonably often, they are not very big. Not very dear either though ($20 each for the 3 colour ones, $30 for the black). At least you only have to replace the colour that runs out and not all.

Ink costs are probably middle of the road.

They will do photo printing but not all that well, if that was a consideration. "Acceptable" comes to mind, not "Brilliant"

For the money, they are OK value.

beetle
19-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Thanxs all.

Goddie - hadnt even thought about photos.....farthest thing from my mind at mo since i arnt taking any. or cant take any.

cost is ok, has to be cheaper than the lot we seem to be going through.....

invoicing and small amounts of copiying is main aim.
then fax.

beetle

godfather
19-07-2004, 11:32 PM
The MFC - 3420C will probably have Camera Card Reader slots (thats what the C stands for I think).

So thats a bonus (if you ever see your camera again that is) I suppose.

Like you, printing Invoices (with a colour letterhead printed at the same time) and copying is the main "printing" function here.

metla
19-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Did those models mentioned ship with a driver? I had to find and download the printer driver for mine, not the ideal scenario.

Alan Cottrell
20-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Hello Beetle,

Re problems with the print quality of the Epson, I found in my travels the other day that WWW.computerfood.co.nz sell special cleaning cartridges for your model of Epson (at least from memory your model, TO13 black) these cartridges are designed specifically to overcome the white streaking etc.
At $20.00 including delivery, would be worth a try

Hope this is of some use to you.

Regards

AC

godfather
20-07-2004, 10:37 AM
> Did those models mentioned ship with a driver? I had
> to find and download the printer driver for mine, not
> the ideal scenario.

Mine came with a CD and driver installation program.

beetle
28-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi ya,

am interested in that ink youre talking about AC may keep that in mind for a clean up of the printer.

But this afternoon i managed to unpack and set up the B Multifunction all by myself! :D
and it prints just fine...actually cant remember when my printouts have ever been that clean fresh looking,
Fax is connected but havent had a fax so just presuming its working fine.

and it was quite easy to set up, in between getting disturbed by the phone and customers........:p

at this point it works fine, no electrical damage or any probs to speak of...

so may be my sparkling personality is as tired as i am at the moment, so not running on all cylinders ?

time will tell
thanxs all for your input. it works !!!!

and no persons or animals or electrical goods were damaged while the setting up of this machine! oh wow.

;)

beetle

beetle
29-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Well at 6 .45 am this morning my ears were fair burning when HWMO, comes stomping into the bedroom growly and bleeping, saying its all my fault cos i installed a stupid multifunction device last night and now bleeped phone system has crashed and the eftpos is down...........

beetle scrammbles if thats at all posible swap jamas for clothes and go belting down the stairs thinking oh dear what the hell have i done now......

sure enough phones are ead as a dodo...eftpos still showing up fine, but as no dial tone cannot access and have customer who had given up waiting by now and gone..... after manual eftpos done.

and as i check out all other posible situations realise that printer is working fine..... delema.....? what the bleep is wrong?
end up stuffing round checking out all possible connections.

Hubby ends up walking down to phone place as they not answering there phone yet... now 7.30am.

he manages to find a techie who comes in and in minutes finds the prob....

when HWMO put some boxes in the cuboard that has phone cables and ups in it he managed to dislodge the power cable enuf to cause no power to get to phone system. that happened in the afternoon yesterday, phones still worked at that stage as it went to battery back up then..... and phones were still working at about 9pm. so we were none the wiser....

so its still all beetles fault and beetle had to reset the system, get the kids ready, breakfast and lunchs while hubby walked around muttering, not accepting it was his fault, and it was the one cable i hadnt got checked - cos i cant open the stupid cupboard being a teachie cuboard.
a no go beetle area. :D
batteries will recharge over time it seems...

LOL

so i wisely say wasnt me... and go to school.

get home at lunch time,

made a coffee fo Himself and me get up from table... and lo and behold there is water greeting me....... coming down my hall......

at this point it is deep enough to go over end of shoes and wet my sox.

next 3/4 of hour we mopping up office, 2 kitchen, hallway, toilet and laundry.... ended cutting off the carpet end (i did) and rolled it up and threw it out the door) . and laughed and laughed cos it was not my fault again.... poor hubby had a real bad day.

got back to class late,

and barely remember what happened in class and

and so that was my day.... how was yours?

now have lovely concrete floors throughout one entire end of the house.... due to this happening often ...the carpet is stuffed.... new carpet in shed ready to be layed.... and possibly washed :D ?

roll on tomorow...

what else can posibly go wrong.... :p

beetle

R2x1
29-07-2004, 10:59 PM
What a difference a day makes Tra lah etc.
One day you'll look back and laugh, maybe not just yet.
R2

Laura
29-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi beetle
Thanks for that...
Was having a really baaad day (Very sick family member) and finally got online to see what was happening in the rest of the world.
Yes, I know your dramas weren't funny at the time, but you've turned them into a good enough story to give us a really good laugh.
It's brightened up what's going to be a long night by reading about another's problems - when you described them so entertainingly.

(Resists temptation to say something which could be construed as sexist & start a flame ware. Chauvanism, anyone..?
I'm sure Mr beetle is normally a luvly fella & just having a bad day, too)

Laura
29-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Sorry. *chauvanism* should be chauvinism.
i.e. negative discrimination based on sexual identity.
But you all knew that, of course...

beetle
30-07-2004, 08:38 PM
LOL

One thing i forgot to mention was that the water comes from the washing machine which has been threatened with replacement or hammer and fixed so many times as the setting to tell the water off - not pump or whatever is a bit slow... and replaced valves as well.......
and as it is a commercial sized washing machine it is quite large and can pump out a lot of water.....
and the house slopes the wrong way, and concrete floors have no little holes or cracks to let water out....

but it was funny..... and it wasnt beetles fault.

hubby is now looking out for a header tank overflow thingy.... as this has happened one too many times for his liking.... to go under said naughty washing machine.

still giggle....

but the floor down the end are all clean and shiny and the concrete cleaner than ever, and less carpet smell .... so one bonus i see.

hope every body has a great weekend and no disasters to happen any where.

beetle

Winston001
31-07-2004, 12:26 AM
My Dear Beetle
I hope you are printing and saving all your threads. Your children and grandchildren are going to laugh and chuckle in the future when you let them read your tales and tribulations.

For now, just be content in the knowledge that you are wonderfully entertaining. :D :D

R2x1
31-07-2004, 01:18 AM
>hubby is now looking out for a header tank overflow thingy.... as this has
>happened one too many times for his liking.... to go under said naughty
>washing machine.
>

Errrrrr - wouldn't it be a footer tank to go under the Niagara device ?:|
R2

beetle
31-07-2004, 02:30 PM
?:|

no idea R2, just no it goes under the header tank device and it should catch all overflow and direct it out a pipe out the wall...:D

and W001, we aim to please, wouldnt life be so boring if ya didnt laugh.

Laura, hope the sick family member recoperates, and your life gets a little less stressful. Just take one day at a time.

beetle

beetle
31-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Oh and i cant beleive how good and clear, clean my printing is now that we have got the multifunction.

and another laugh while i was at school HWMO had to send a fax..... he couldnt..ended up ringing them.... as he didnt know where to put the paper...lolololol i gave him the unopened RTFM and at same time said it goes in the top.....lol one up for beetle.....

only other grumble HWMO has it he doesnt hear the fax's come in.... so i set on loud for him....... so should scare the living daylights out of him when it goes off next time, and he's in the office...LOL

:D
Have a good weekend all.

beetle

Old Tom
31-07-2004, 04:27 PM
All's well that ends well.I always say.

beetle
31-07-2004, 04:36 PM
:D

beetle