PDA

View Full Version : CD writer that can do CD label?

cing
19-07-2004, 02:56 PM
I read about a new CD-writer that can create the CD label using the Writer itself, can someone tell me what brand and model please.

CYaBro
19-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Check it out here (http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/computer/index.html)

CYaBro
19-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Click on the DiscT@2 Title to get the models and details.

godfather
19-07-2004, 03:44 PM
But - look carefully.

It does not create the "label", but writes only to the unused portion of the outer disk, to create something that *may or may not* be visible through the disk (depending on the disk type).

If the CD is full, there is no room for any graphic content.

Neat idea though. Bet it takes a while to burn?

cing
20-07-2004, 09:27 AM
No, the one i read about is After the writing stage is complete, the cd-writer will then eject the CD and let you flip the over CD to burn the label on the other side of the CD (The result is like those Microsoft product CD label)

dadzka
20-07-2004, 04:42 PM
The article you refer to was called "Tattoo You" and apeared in the March PC World magazine. Found it by going to the PC World site and entering label to bring up a list of associated articles.

Graham L
20-07-2004, 04:50 PM
I've seen in some of the "professional" type advertisements in Australian PC CD burners which will take a whole stack of blanks and both write them then print labels with an unbuilt ink-jet printer. Not cheap. ;-)

Using the laser to write on the lacquer side looks like a reasonable idea. It might be interesting if too much power got through to the reflective layer. ;-)

godfather
20-07-2004, 05:31 PM
What you are referring to is HP's "LightScribe" technology?
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8847

godfather
20-07-2004, 05:38 PM
The CD Burners and Media are not yet available as far as I know.

It's monochrome.

You need to buy CD's that are made for this purpose, you cannot therefore label existing ones. They have to have the laser sensitive upper coating, and will be more expensive.

It takes around 20 minutes burning for the process apparently.

cing
21-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Yes, the HP is the one i am looking. Thank you everyone.