PDA

View Full Version : Error: UNMOUTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

johut2
19-07-2004, 11:01 AM
PROBLEM:

Error: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Unable to use any of the F8 boot options all of them hung.

Note: When loading in safe modes it locks when loading c:\winnt\system32\drivers\mup.sys

THINGS TRIED:

Have booted from XP. Used (F6) to load Asus Raid drivers from floppy. Unable to install windows or use Recovery console. Tried this over 3 nights with the following methods.

Have done this using ATA drive + Sata, then Sata alone.

Swapped slots and cables (ATA + Sata) then done them separately 1 at a time. Used xp cd and Floppy boot disk's (x6)

Have changed numerous bios options

Disconnected Lite On CD ROM seems this brand has issues with m/b and booted of Floppies.

Hangs on the same spot "examining drive".

Booted ATA drive (alone) able to install / use recovery console / loads windows of course.

Any help to either access SATA drive - install windows or format drive using utils - tips would be more than appreciated

SYSTEM:

Asus A7V600 m/b - 512 ram - Ge-cube 9600pro 256ram - Lite On CdW - Seagate Barrucuda SATA 120gig (ST3120026AS)

Intel Hunter
19-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi John,

This is most likely caused by file system damage, but there is more information on this page http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q297/1/85.asp&NoWebContent=1 Just follow the link and read all the page.

Regards

paadelta
03-08-2006, 08:20 AM
i have a similar problem but this time i connot even get safe mode started. i need the data on the disk badly please help

thanks

pcuser42
03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
i have a similar problem but this time i connot even get safe mode started. i need the data on the disk badly please help

thanks

Take the hard drive out and put it in a different computer as the slave drive, if you know how.

pctek
03-08-2006, 09:50 AM
I've found doing a Repair Install on it works.

MAC_H8ER
03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
this has worked for me numerous times with UNMOUTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME errors:
go into the recovery console with your XP cd and log into your windows installation then type:

CHKDSK /R (this takes ages)

CHKDSK /P

FIXBOOT

i see you have RAID so i am unsure if it will work with it (i have only used it on single disked systems)

best of luck to ya :thumbs: