PDA

View Full Version : Cant remove trojan Downloader.Small.8.F

peejayw
19-07-2004, 09:10 AM
AVG ver 6 picked up a trojan called Downloader Small 8.F in Local Settings/Temp Internet Files/Content IE5. I deleted everthing in Temp Internet Files and ran AVG again and it still picked up the virus, I could see it scanning the files I had just deleted!
In safe mode, I ran DOS and checked the directory, no files. Then I ran AVG in DOS mode, no virus found. Back to the beginning, rebooted and ran AVG, virus in the Temp Internet Files again!
Any clues anyone?
Thanks.

Murray P
19-07-2004, 09:44 AM
What OS are you using? Have you ticked "Show hidden files & folders" in View > folder options ot Tools > Options > View, depending on your OS.

Search your computer for the file, note the path and delet while in safe mode.

Failing that, use Spyder to clean out your temp files and internet .dat file (see PF1 FAQ's by Susan B).

Cheers Murray P

peejayw
19-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi, OS is WinXP Home. and I have "show Hidden Folders" on. In safe mode, the files do not show up! That is the weird part. I will try Spyder, thanks.

Murray P
19-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Spydere doesn't work so well in XP.

Turn off system restore, boot to safe mode and try deleting.

Cheers Murray P

tommy
19-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Try Index.dat-Suite (http://www.fileheaven.com/Index.dat-Suite/download/8636.htm) to remove your temporary internet files. You may also need to download and use a trojan cleaning program if you are still having problems.

peejayw
19-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks Tommy, that worked fine.