PDA

View Full Version : Problems with RAID array on GA-7N400 Pro2 MB

Erin Salmon
18-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I've got a GA-7N400 Pro2, with 2x Hitachi 120GB ATA133 Hard Drives.

I've got one drive configured as master, and one as slave, rather than using Cable Select.

In BIOS I have GigaRAID enabled, and set to use RAID.

In the RAID BIOS both drives are detected and installed as a RAID 0 array. All looks fine here.

When I install windows I press F6 and stick in the floppy disk to install the drivers, which works fine until the point where windows asks you which drive/partition you would like to install onto, and it says "windows cannot access this disk".

At least, that's the error I'm currently getting. I used to not get this far at all.

I've also received "setup did not find any hard disks attached to this computer".

I get this error when I swap the positions of master/slave on the cable.

I've also tried using two cables (master & master, rathe than master/slave on one cable).

I've tried using a different cable, and changing the motherboard. I don't have more hard drives available to test it with, which is the obvious next step, but perhaps someone has seen this before?

Cheers,

Erin

kiki
18-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Have you followed through the GigaRAID user manual properly?

Erin Salmon
19-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Yup - I've been through it backwards and forwards again and again!

I've installed RAID on this board dozens of times before without incident.

I think I've nailed the problem now. I tried it out with various configurations of different hard drives, and managed to get it going using one of the hard drives, but not the other. Both drives work fine by themselves, but evidently one doesn't like RAID for some reason...

Well at least I know what part to send back, but why the hell would a hard drive do that?

Thanks!

Erin

Pete O\'Neil
19-07-2004, 01:56 PM
You'll get better preformance from using each drive on its own channel e.g master and master. Have you tryed the latest drivers? From what you've said in your second post it does sound as if one drive is faulty.

Out of interest are you sure the Hitachi drives are ATA133?

Erin Salmon
19-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi,

Yeah I know using two channels gives better performance, I just tried all the different configurations to see if I could get it to work somehow, or to get more information from the errors it gave me.

I'm sure one of the drives is faulty, but that drive does work fine when not in RAID. I didn't try using other types of RAID (1, 0+1 etc) - it might work then...?

Anyway, I don't want a drive which works in some configurations and not others, so I've swapped it.

My bad - the Hitachi drives are in fact ATA100, although most of the time the performance difference is negligible, if existent.

I think I've got this problem sorted out, but you never know with computers!

Cross your fingers for me.

:)

Erin

Growly
19-07-2004, 10:43 PM
If not, I was always told that those extra IDE channels have to a) be activated in BIOS and b) are best confiugred through an existing OS.