PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm Questions

Patrick 2003
18-07-2004, 11:43 AM
i recently install DC++0.401 to see what all the fuss was about.hehe. wel i got zone alarm firewall and i get these pop up messages
1.scvhost.exe (do i allow this to connect to the net and grant server permission?)
2.dwnupdt.exe (do i allow this to connect to the net and grant server permission?)
3.DCPlusPlus.exe(do i allow this to connect to the net and grant server permission?)

and are there any other things that i need to grant internet permission and server permission?
thanks for the help in advance

tweak\'e
18-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Process File: scvhost or scvhost.exe
Process Name: Scvhost
Description: Added to the system as a result of the W32/Agobot-S virus that is an IRC backdoor Trojan and network worm. W32/Agobot-S copies itself to network shares with weak passwords and attempts to spread to computers using the DCOM Rcomputer and the Rcomputer locator vulnerabilities.
Company: N/A
System Process: No
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): Yes
Common Errors: N/A

Fire-and-Ice
18-07-2004, 02:38 PM
> get these pop up messages
> 1.scvhost.exe (do i allow this to connect to the net
> and grant server permission?)

Might be time to get the big guns out and give your system a virus/trojan scan. ;-)

Pheonix
18-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Spelling correct?
There is a difference between scvhost.exe and svchost.exe..(note the c an v reversed).
scvhost.exe is a trojan, svchost.exe is a normal windows function file.

mikebartnz
18-07-2004, 07:34 PM
>DC++0.401
It would help if you could tell us what it is for or does.
>do i allow this to connect to the net and grant server permission?)
No program on my PC is allowed to be a server on the net.

whetu
18-07-2004, 08:18 PM
>>DC++0.401
>It would help if you could tell us what it is for or does.

This is Direct Connect, a P2P/chat application similar to IRC. Specifically, DC++ is a Direct Connect client

>>do i allow this to connect to the net and grant server permission?)
>No program on my PC is allowed to be a server on the net.

DC will have to be allowed to be a server if you want it to work correctly.. this is so that it is allowed to listen to the port assigned to it - the port that is used for normal operation of the application

mikebartnz
18-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks Whetu
Knowing what it is I understand it needs to be a server.

Patrick 2003
18-07-2004, 09:47 PM
hey there,
yes my spelling was correct it is scvhost.exe that i was talkin about. i have gave spy bot 1.3 and adaware and avg a spin and it only picked up the dwnupdt.exe which had a trojan in it but not scvhost.exe , so i manually deleted scvhost.exe, was this the right move??

Patrick 2003
18-07-2004, 09:53 PM
sorry i forgot to mention that spybot adaware and avg and zonealarm are all up to date, os is xp home