PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Win XP pro/home sucks!

stu120404
17-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Sorry about this rant :8}

If you have any thing slower then or a have an AMD 2000 XP 2000+ with 256 MB of RAM or (224 MB of ram for in build graphics)

Then forget about Win Xp pro/home!!! As it is slow as any thing, especially once you start opting up programs etc… & there is a Good chance that you may have a few crashes especially once you get in to the media side of thing e.g. recording / watching TV/ moves/sounds etc….

If you are thinking about upgrading to win xp and you have any thing slower then or a have an AMD 2000 XP 2000+ with 256 MB of RAM or (224 MB of ram for in build graphics) then it is Not worth it, stick with the OS you currently have!.
[/rant]

godfather
17-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Rubbish, in my experience.

I have a P3 667 Mhz, 256 MB shared RAM. XP. It runs Office functions just fine. No noticeable slowness. Runs a TV card fine (graphics adapter limits screen size, as overlay is not supported but CPU handled it OK)

Also a Celeron 600 MHz on XP, 256 MB shared RAM, that is a bit slower, but very useable for Office and Internet.

Also a P4 on XP, 2 GHz CPU with 1 GB RAM, which is quite fast, but not that much faster for most things than the P3. Does video capture and TV just fine.

Also a Celeron laptop 600 MHZ 192 MB RAM. Runs XP and Office functions with just a hint of lack of speed, but still quite acceptable.

Also a Celeron M 2.2 GHz laptop, 512 MB RAM, runs just fine thanks.

All systems are rock stable. 3 were previously on Windows 98 and ME. No way would I ever consider going back.

the highlander
17-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Bollocks
In my travels I have seen xp pro and home loaded on a wide variety of comps ( The most insane being on a P166 with 64 megs of ram and 1meg vid card) and so long as you have plenty of ram you get acceptable, (note not brilliant) performance and decent reliability down to as little as 400 mhz.
I have xp pro loaded on a p933 with half a gig of ram and an mx440 as my backup system and it handles divx encoding, ripping,burning and 3d rendering in Truespace and Bryce with utter reliability and decent speed.

stu120404
17-07-2004, 11:19 PM
One other thing I meant to mention in my rant is that login is just as slow, it takes my computer 2 - 3 mins for my profile to load up!

kiki
17-07-2004, 11:22 PM
The solution Stu might be to just get another stick of RAM. :|

stu120404
17-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Godfather & the highlander you guys must be lucky or have faster hard drives them me.

stu120404
17-07-2004, 11:25 PM
One thing I am starting to think about is treating Win XP like Win ME & restarting it 4 to 5 times a day.

beetle
17-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Stu,

how many apps or programs do you have running at a time?

maybe your machine is just too busy?

beetle

Berryb
17-07-2004, 11:34 PM
I have XP loaded on several Pent 300 - 400's with no problem at all. Used for net and office, found to be very stable (these PC's are not turned off for weeks), have several profiles with load times not minutes. Maybe if your profile is taking so long to load you have to much crap loading??

Jester
17-07-2004, 11:46 PM
My PC before this one was a P3 667MHz - 256 RAM, with XP Pro. Ran sweet - and quick. You should look at what else is loading to get those boot times, turn off animations, effects and you'll see the light.

J
:D

robsonde
17-07-2004, 11:51 PM
please give us all your system info, me thinks its more to do with your setup then your CPU speed.

i have had XP running on an athlon 1600+ for a long time and i am very happy with the speed.

i only have 256Mb ram.....

how much disk have you got?? how is it split up??

nadius
17-07-2004, 11:53 PM
My previous computer was a Celeron 700Mhz with 256MB ram. XP Pro ran both faster, and more stable than Win98 on that machine. As it does on my current machine.

I disagree entirely with what you're saying.

Rod J
18-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Running WinXP Home on a Celeron 500 - 128Mb ram 40Gb 5600rpm Seagate drive very happily. I was a diehard Win98 fan and couldn't believe Microsoft's blurb about XP being the fastest, most stable version of Windows, etc. But I have been converted :D, seeing is believing! I must admit XP does need more memory though. Now with a number of applications installed it is slowing somewhat, definitely needs more ram. But it is far more stable than 98 and even more stable than Mandrake Linux 9 was on my machine. I've only had one bad crash in 2 months of use and that was caused by my flakey TV card which constantly crashes in 98 (so much so that I rarely use it).

Rob99
18-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Goto System Properties > Advanced > Preformance Settings > Visual Effects > Adjust for best preformance, then turn on the bottom two and your computer will preform instantly much faster and still have the feel of XP

Rob

robsonde
18-07-2004, 12:14 AM
wow!!!

that tip is cool!!!

you rock!!

R2x1
18-07-2004, 12:14 AM
>caused by my flakey TV card which constantly crashes in 98 (so much so that
>I rarely use it).

Hi Rod J,
Have you tried DScaler (http://www.dscaler.org/)? It deflaked my oddball card to an amzing extent, and the price? Free ! !
R2

JJJJJ
18-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Stu, Don't blame XP for your poor underspeced computer.
Jack

mark.p
18-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Nah it's the inverse Moore's law-Each new release of MS windows makes ones
PC go slowwwwer. Sorry, couldn't resist................

Megaman
18-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Celeron 1.2ghz, 384mb SD-RAM, 40gb partition (cleaned every season) runs like a dream. even wen we play games like the ram hungry The Sims (with 6 expansions) it was still snappy.

Stu, this has been done many times over. some basic mantinance never hurt anyone, and spyware won't help either :|

wintertide
18-07-2004, 11:21 AM
I've installed and used XP Pro on a PII 350 with 128MB RAM and a 5400rpm 6GB HDD and it runs fine when you change it to use the XP Classic theme. It never crashes and is great for anything that needs the internet or even educational programs, so I think that you have just had a bad experience with XP.

Dolby Digital
18-07-2004, 12:42 PM
>> Stu, Don't blame XP for your poor underspeced computer.
If an AMD 2000 is underspeced, then boy, there's alot of "underspeced" pc's out there.

Dolby Digital
18-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Go on Stu, move to Linux. I could suggest you go and buy a Mac but you pay a premium for the privilege :)

Graham L
18-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Will XP run on my 386SX20 with 6 MB ram and 40MB disk? It runs Linux sweetly. It has been doing that since 1995. :D (I did have to add 2MB of ISA bus memory to make it run ;-))

Chilling_Silence
18-07-2004, 04:11 PM
What Distro Graham? Slackware recommends at least 8MB....

Personally Ive found WinXP fine. I ran it on an Athlon 233Mhz w/64MB Ram. It was definately slower than Win98, but it was more stable on the hardware because of better drivers so it was a tradeoff on this particular laptop.

Different story with my Fathers laptop. P2 500Mhz w/ 384MB Ram. Runs DVDs fine in Win98 but they're immensly jerky in WinXP (Even with DMA setup and configured etc). This is probably due to the fact that yes, WinXP does use more system resources than 98.

And anything less than an AMD 2000+ Stu? No offense, but where'd you pluck that number from and why so much ram? I know people who happily run it on 800Mhz Durons w/128MB Ram!

...And if a 2000+ is underspec'd ;-)

My Athlon XP 1700+ would stay up for weeks on end running Gentoo Linux with litterally 30 apps open. Why close an application when you can leave it open? 6 Virtual Desktops so the taskbar isnt cluttered.... :D

Ignorance is bliss......

fus1_n
18-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Stu.... I think its time for you to do a rebuild (format C:\). Windows gets junked up after a while of normal use. If you think 2-3 mins if slow try 10-15 mins of profile loading on win 2k :-D

Fire-and-Ice
18-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Did you upgrade XP over the top of Win ME Stu? If so it should make a big difference if you do a fresh install to wipe out all the detritus from ME. Win XP goes like a bullet after a reformat and reinstall take it from me. ;-)

taxboy4
18-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Goto System Properties > Advanced > Preformance Settings > Visual Effects > Adjust for best preformance, then turn on the bottom two and your computer will preform instantly much faster and still have the feel of XP

Rob

Will these affect the games I run on my GEforce card?

Rob99
18-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Probally will or might not? hard to answer without trying out, but if they do it will be for the best

Greg S
19-07-2004, 06:40 AM
I installed XP Pro on a customer's AMD 733 machine with just 128 ram, and it runs very well. Admittedly the only apps they use are Office 2003 and web browser, but they're delighted with it

george12
19-07-2004, 04:40 PM
I run XP now on my PIII 500Mhz 192MB RAM and a 4gb hqard drive. It runs beautifully on a clean install. I run Office XP, VB 6, IE, have a 1.5GB music library, play DVDs, and it takes about 10 secs to load my profile. Instant if I use fast user switching. I have no compalints. Before XP I had Win2K which ran about the same.

If my computer slows down I just back up to the old 1GHZ Duron (documents and music) and do a format. Runs like new. Actually it runs better than some 1.2Ghz's and stuff.

Dolby Digital
19-07-2004, 06:07 PM
>>Runs DVDs fine in Win98 but they're immensly jerky in WinXP
Surely not Graham. Microsoft says XP is the fastest Windows yet, so how can that be true :)

Chilling_Silence
19-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Its Chill, and Bill Gates also said "nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM" :p

mark.p
19-07-2004, 06:40 PM
> Its Chill, and Bill Gates also said "nobody will ever
> need more than 640k RAM" :p

I'm waiting for the free hardware Bill said we'll have..........................

-=JM=-
19-07-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm with godfather on this one. You must've done something wrong stu. Though admittedly, it does run a whole lot nicer with 512MB of RAM.

Chilling_Silence
19-07-2004, 08:47 PM
> I'm with godfather on this one. You must've done
> something wrong stu. Though admittedly, it does run a
> whole lot nicer with 512MB of RAM.

Indeed! Especially with a 192 Ramdisk thats just for Swapfile :D

stu120404
20-07-2004, 05:14 PM
> Did you upgrade XP over the top of Win ME Stu?

Nope, I got a brand new hard drive so I & dads install XP on to the new hard drive

> Stu.... I think its time for you to do a rebuild
> (format C:\). Windows gets junked up after a while of
> normal use.

Hehe, lol, I have only had XP install for 32 days (+ or - a day) & I have not even had time to finch moving all my stuff off my old hard drive!

>Stu, this has been done many times over. some basic
> mantinance never hurt anyone,

Like what? Scan disk is hopeless…

> andspyware won't help
> either :|

No, spyware / ad-aware, can touch this computer :D (as I am running Ad-aware 6 & Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.2 & using where every possible using Mozilla Firefox )

also I have AVG Anti-Virus

> please give us all your system info, me thinks its
> more to do with your setup then your CPU speed.

Like what system info do you want to know?

> how much disk have you got?? how is it split up??

I think I have a 40 GB Hard drive (format to NTFS) split in two

C: Capacity 14.6 GB
Free: 7.36 GB
Used: 7.28 GB

E: My Data drive Capacity: 22.6 GB
Used: 3.64 GB
Free: 18.9 GB

> how many apps or programs do you have running at a
> time?

At the moment I have 8 programs open & a few with more then 3 windows open
e.g.
5 windows explores windows open
4 Firefox tabs open
4 Smart FTP tabs open
2 e-mail & OE open

> I'm with godfather on this one. You must've done
> something wrong stu. Though admittedly, it does run a
> whole lot nicer with 512MB of RAM.

Yeath, I know I am hoping that dad will give me 512MB of RAM, but I don’t think I will be nagging him about that for a wee while yet, as if I do I could loss my Win Me Drive :(, long story….

tommy
20-07-2004, 07:36 PM
What applications do you have listed under Start, Run, msconfig, Startup?

kiki
20-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Well your problem is you are running all the spyware killers in the background which waste a) memory b) cpu time c) hard disk time. It's no wonder you have poor performance.

Also your hard drive is probably a 5400rpm with <2mb cache. A huge performance increase could be gained by simply getting a 7200rpm + 8mb cache drive.

Also if you plain upgraded over WinME instead of a fresh install, well I don't even want to go there...

agent
20-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Stu, you might like to try an unattended installation of Windows XP.

It's much nicer when you're able to have that level of customisation of XP right from the install stage - the key thing being moving Documents and Settings to a drive and folder of your choice.

In that way, you can reduce your C: to something as small as 3GB, leaving all data and other programs to go on your other partition. If set up correctly, it can reduce hard drive access times compared to what may be currently experiencing.

Try a Google search, there's plenty of documentation on unattended installs on the XP CD itself - and while you can spend up to four hours going through every option, the end result is a cleaner product to start with.

Bletch
20-07-2004, 11:54 PM
something else that can cause win to take ages to load is if you try to load drivers for conflicting hardware. The problem occurs when there is only a mild conflict so all the H/W still goes, but windows spends years trying to figure out how to use the conflicting devices. This problem mainly occurs between graphics/network/sound setups, but other things can cause it too.

andrew93
21-07-2004, 12:20 AM
> No, spyware / ad-aware, can touch this computer :D
> (as I am running Ad-aware 6 & Spybot - Search &
> Destroy 1.2 & using where every possible using
> Mozilla Firefox )

Stu, you might want to upgrade to Spybot 1.3 - the latest version is not available from the update facility in 1.2, a fresh download / install file is available from here (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html)

Plus you might want to turn off the auto-indexing thingy on the hard drive (under my computer, select hard drive, right click, properties, untick auto-index) - waste of space and in your case, precious resources 'cos it is working constantly in the background
:)

Rob99
21-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Do try this it wont hurt:

Rob

Susan B
21-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Stu, did you take note of this sentence?

> I've only had one bad crash in 2 months of use and that was caused by my flakey TV card which constantly crashes in 98 (so much so that I rarely use it).

You mentioned to me the other day something about your TV card - have you considered removing it and seeing if your problems disappear? It would be well worth a try. :-)