PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake Linux 10 at DSE for $8.95

memphis
17-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Went to DSE to look at games and found Mandrake Linux 10 and Mandrakemove Download Collection,a complete and full-featured Linux operating system from Mandrake in a dvd like case with 4 CDs inside,Knoppix was there as well next to where they sell there pcs.Will get another harddrive first before loading it,don't want to stuff up XP PRO,and my saved games,anybody got it or another Linux distro that is easy for learners to use,load,recognize hardware, and autoupdate, get on the net.Was thinking to use it for the net and XP PRO for games,as I've herd its safer then windows,your comments,knowledge,oppinions are anticipated,just want to look outside the windows box/jail,to see whats out there

Chilling_Silence
17-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Greetings and Welcome to PressF1!

Personally I would suggest Ark linux or Xandros OCE.

If you're not wanting to download though and want a "real" Linux distro, then I dont see why Mandrake 10 would be a problem :-)

Great news its at DSE!

Go for it!

Chill.

Jen C
17-07-2004, 05:10 PM
>Will get another harddrive first before loading it,don't want to stuff up XP PRO

A good way of installing Linux without touching your XP drive at all, is to use removable HDD caddies. They fit in a spare 5.25" drive bay. You have both drives set as Master, and just switch them around depending upon what OS you wish to use. This way you do not have to dual boot at all. DSE has the caddies - 3.5'' Removable Rack & Tray (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH5067), and you will need a spare tray (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH5068) for the second HDD.

Give Mandrake 10 a go, for that price you can't lose. Another good distro to use is Xandros. You may have a problem with your modem if it is a winmodem. Check out the Linux support for that modem first.

memphis
17-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Thank you Chilling Silence and Jen C for your welcome and replys.
I will see if I can buy Ark Linux,Xandros OCE in Chirstchurch I'll look in the ph book for shops I think theres some that will download the distros for you on there fast broadband and buy from them,ring them at home tell them what you want drive into city do some shopping and then pick them up all downloaded for you, less hassle, go home and check them out.Well thats the plan anyway,56ks being to slow to download big things my modem I have Dynalink 56k pci card bought brand new this year is that good/bad for Linux,I'll post my system specs for other suspect gear.
OS xp pro sp1
CPU 2500xp
RAM 2 x 512 ddr 333
GPU ATI 9600
SC audigy 2 zs
HD 120gb seagate
MB ga-7n400 pro2 (gigabyte)
KB Microsoft natural
Mouse microsoft intelli 3.0
dvd rom btc
cdrw btc
floppy

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your help.

Jen C
17-07-2004, 07:41 PM
>I have Dynalink 56k pci card bought brand new this year is that good/bad for Linux

That modem has Linux drivers available, I know someone using that same modem under Fedora Core 1 (2.4 kernel) without problems. I just installed a precompiled binary for their kernel version and it worked straight off. You can see what precompiled drivers are available for what distro here (http://www.heby.de/ltmodem).

You can get official ATI Linux drivers, but Linux will still run fine using the default ones unless you are planning some gaming on the box.

The rest of your hardware looks fine, but your milage may vary, so no promises :)

You can get a variety of distro's from these suppliers:

XSolutions (http://www.xsolutions.co.nz/)

Copyleft (http://www.copyleft.co.nz/)

For $8.95, I would try out Mandrake first, it is easy enough to try another distro later. You can even use the Live-CD Knoppix for a preview of how Linux will run on your machine, as it only runs from the CD drive and does not touch your hard drive at all.

mark.p
17-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Welcome. Good on you for wanting to try something different. Knoppix will boot from cd and give you a taste of what Linux looks like without an hdd install. Best of luck.

memphis
17-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Thank you Jen C,

thats good news,and good help.

About gaming can I play the games I buy from shops on a Linux box using a patch or some application to make them work or is it a real hassle for a beginner to set up and not worth the time/pain/hassle.

If it is I'll play them on xp pro,and use Linux for the net.

Can you buy good Linux games from a Linux shop?
Or does Microsoft stop this from happening?(ie blackmailing programmers/developers/distributors/shops/etc).

Thank you

Chilling_Silence
17-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Sorta yes, sorta no...

Check out Cedega (AKA WineX 4) at http://www.transgaming.com
Its a "compatability layer" between the games and Linux in a manner of speaking.

Not hard to use really :-) Point2Play helps

There's a lot of native games too...
Planeshift
Unreal Tournament (UT2k3 and 2k4 also)
Quake 3
Doom 3
Wesnoth

And a very large amount of games will run under Cedega, or even just the normal Wine (WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator... Wine lets you run Windows apps in Linux).

Using it for just surfing etc is a good way to start, with no spyware to worry about, and I use Mozilla Firefox so I have no popups or possible IE Security Holes either ;-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

R2x1
17-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi,
Has anyone tried this flight sim (http://www.icewalkers.com/NFTW/55870/Flight-Gear.html) yet ?
R2

memphis
17-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Wow this is great Chilling Silence!!!

So I could be completely Microsoft free!!!

Play good games/surf the net on Linux!!!

Which is about 99.99% of what I do on xp pro I only use for these two things like the rest of my mates,and most people in the world.

If the public at large which being one of new about this Microsoft could be Doomed!!!

Why pay HUNDREDS of $$$ for any OS when you can save
that for better hardware to run your games.

The main reason I feel I have not tryed it before is because I did not think/know,you could play your favorite games on Linux I thought it was just snakes and ladders and basic boring,low quality stuff and I mean no offence but as you can gess I love to play good quality games
like you buy in the shops.

Plus I thought it was hard to understand like you have to be PC savvy to understand code and stuff like you would have to go to uni to cope with it all you know really brainy/nerdy.

Thanks heaps for your help Chilling Silence and Jen C and R2x1,Mark.p

Long live Linux, Linux Rules!!!

I'M a convert to a new religion called Linux!!!

Are you???

I wana hear a HELL YEAH!!!!

Stop being a heathen an get some healing called... LINUX!!!

Was that to much?

Megaman
17-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Memphis: You're not the Memphis from phpbbhost.org are you?

memphis
18-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Sorry,Megaman,I am not from phpbbhost.org

But I am from www.overclockers.co.nz

If that helps?

willie_M
18-07-2004, 02:33 AM
YAY! Someone else is convert... Thank you DSE... A full O/S for $9!!!

That'll put the wind up MS. :D

There are awesome games on Linux... Tuxpuck, Tuxracer, Racer.

Racer is a car game that you drive with your mouse and has awesome grphics (www.racer-xtreme.com)... the linux rendering engine is so much better than windows... Windows uses DirectX and linux uses OpenGL.

There is a native installer for UT 2004 on the last disk! Just run install.sh

Also available for linux is Wolfenstein: RTCW

I found that Mandrake 9.1 and Xandros etc etc were ****... to put it straight. However mandrake 10 may have improved. I now use SuSe 9.0 and I've got everything running better than ever.

So if you want to not worry about compatability, get a hold of SuSe 9.1 or Lycoris Desktop L/X... thats if mandrake 10 isnt better.

Wohoo! Another one bought back from the evil side.

Chilling_Silence
18-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Why stop at RTCW? What about AA:Ops etc....?!

Mephis:
Welcome to my world ;-)

Megaman
18-07-2004, 10:50 AM
> Sorry,Megaman,I am not from phpbbhost.org
>
> But I am from www.overclockers.co.nz
>
> If that helps?

ah. because there there's a Memphis, from New Zealand, with a Maxnet Email address

Graham L
18-07-2004, 02:51 PM
And DSE have Knoppix and Morphix live CDs for $6.95. The two. ;-) The
Morphix one can even load itself to the HD, but I haven't tried that. DSE are also selling the last of their CDs with OpenOffice 1.1 (for Windows and Linux) plus a lot of other useful stuff for $1.95. You'll have to be near the branches which still have copies for that. If you are very quick and in the right place, you can get Mandrake 9.2 for $0.0 ;-)

Just by the way, I've got a couple of laptops (which often cause odd problems with Linux). I've found a sneaky way to configure X-Window for a laptop is to boot a live CD Knoppix on it, then grab a copy of the XF86Conf-4 file it produces to a floppy, then copy it to the real installation on the HD.