PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Recognition Problems.

ddob
17-07-2004, 08:37 AM
I have just installed a new power supply to my computer and now my bios doesn't recognize my hard drive. Have been on the web page of the hard drive maker and have done everything that they say to do and check - but alais still no joy. The hard drive just doesn't exist and I need help to get it going. The hard drive is a remanufactured Seagate 40gb 5400rpm drive that seagate has just replaced.
Any help would be much appreciatted.
Danny

Pete O\'Neil
17-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Is this the only HDD in your system? What IDE channel is it on? Is it jumpered to Master, Slave or Cable select? Im assuming its PATA not SATA due to its low RPM? What other drives are in your system? CD, CDRW DVD? What motherboard are you using? Are you using onboard IDE or a addin card?

PaulD
17-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Assuming that all power connections are OK, if this is the first time in a while that your pc has been without power, your CMOS battery could also need replacing if the bios has lost settings.

Pheonix
17-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Remove the wide grey cable, noting it's orientation.
Now put it back in and check again in the BIOS.

ddob
18-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi Guy's,
Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a crook IDE cable from the mother board. The computer now aknowledges that ther is a hard drive but even after formating wont allow me to load any of the following - Win98se , Win ME Windows 2000 prof edit or Win Xp prof edition. Will just have to soldier on I guess when it doesn't p me off.
Once again Thanks,
Danny

JohnD
18-07-2004, 06:15 PM
What happens when you attempt to install an OS?

ddob
18-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi Buddy,
Finally after 2 days and 3 formats I finally got the system to accept win98se. Better than nothing I guess - am going to try and load win2000 pro edition shortly - will let you know.
In answer to your question I kept getting Windows protection error messages and the bsod.
Thanks for your help,
Danny

Graham L
19-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Check that your memory sticks are properly seated. And/or get a copy of a memory tester and run it. Memory faults are a very commen cause of problems in loading OSs. Memtest86 is well thought of, and free. :D You'll find a link to get it by using "memtest86" in the Search of this site.