PDA

View Full Version : windows file protection annoyance

lagbort
16-07-2004, 09:31 PM
i have just recently reinstalled windows xp professional on a 5gb partition on my 80gb hdd.

in the last couple of days a pop up has been regularly occuring asking for my windows xp disk to repair some uncertified files or something, the thing is i can put my windows xp disk in and it does nothing and then aks for it again 5 minutes later even if the disk is in the drive.

any help?

Big John
17-07-2004, 09:52 AM
How did you reinstall it?

If you just installed over the top of the other copy then there could be hassles. The best way is to boot from the XP CD and when it asks you, reformat the drive you are going to install onto and start fresh. Much less hassles that way.

lagbort
17-07-2004, 10:51 AM
we deleted the old single partition and then created 2 new partitions the 5gb one for windows and the rest for other stuff, i formatted the 5gb one to ntfs, then installed windows, the from within windos i formatted the other drive to ntfs

lagbort
17-07-2004, 12:31 PM
i just did a scan with avg, and found 1002 copies of one irus, which has completely infected all major files on my computer, so i have ordered a new hdd and as soon as that arrives i am going to wipe my 80gb and use it as a dedicated windows drive