PDA

View Full Version : TrendMicro with Firefox/IE

pulling hair out
16-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi
Just tried running Trendmicro through Firefox and it wants me to download a plugin. I thought after having used it before in IE, it wouldn't need another plugin.

Have read their questions list, and in '"why is 'scan for viruses' only available for IE users?" it says it "uses MS IE to push ActiveX controls to the client to perform virus scanning. Currently Netscape doesn't support ActiveX controls."

So, if going through Firefox, and downloading the plugin am I going to be able to do the virus check?

Have previously being doing it in IE, and apart from the first time, it goes well. Although a box still comes up with "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls & plugin to run" yes/no.

Before I have another shot at doing the check, thought I'd ask beforehand.

regards,
Marg.

ilikelinux
16-07-2004, 06:46 PM
mozilla is a open source version of netscape, therefore Trendmicro will not run on Firefox because Firefox is "mozilla on a diet".

Hope this helps.

ILikeLinux

pulling hair out
16-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks for your reply ilikelinux.

Often see pf1 posters suggesting people use trendmicro but don't seem to mention that only IE can use it.

Regards Marg.

Megaman
16-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Maybe Opera will support it? Download it from any PCWorld CD or here (http://www.opera.com). It costs, but there is an Ad-Supported Free version

Jen C
16-07-2004, 09:40 PM
There are always some sites in which you cannot use Firefox for, just open up IE and use that for those sites.

Don't forget, even if you do not use IE anymore, you must still keep it updated with patches etc as they are released. :)

Fire-and-Ice
16-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Opera doesnt have Active X so it is unlikly that you can do an online scan at TrendMicro with it.

TrendMicro isnt the only AV site that offers online scans. Someone posted a list of others a few days ago but I'm not sure which thread its in now.

As Jen says, just use IE for the odd occasion where necessary. ;-)

pulling hair out
17-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi

Thanks for the replies. Am very happy with Firefox and still learning about different parts of it.

Don't mind using IE either apart from the safety issues. My computer was playing silly buggers with me and acting strange so thought I'd see if trendmicro might find something that AVD, Spybot and Adaware hadn't.

All is back to normal now without doing anything.

regards, Marg.