PDA

View Full Version : Driver needed for tape drive

agent_24
16-07-2004, 04:56 PM
I am needing a driver for a conner CTT800I-F / CTT800R-F Travan tape drive, for windows 95.

This drive connects via the floppy cable.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Miami Steve
16-07-2004, 05:02 PM
What backup software are you using? Tape drives don't tend to have drivers per se, but are controlled from the backup software. I have, in the past had a couple of DDS tape drives, and the drives didn't appear in device manager until I installed the backup software that was supplied with the drive.

Cheers
Miami

agent_24
16-07-2004, 06:06 PM
I have tried installing the software but upon running setup windows 95 tells me that "Insta56mi_If" or something has encountered a problem and needs to close. this program does not do this on my XP computer.

from the looks of it the backup program was designed for windows 3.1, but as it works with XP i dont see why it wouldnt work with 95.

unless there is a certain update for 95 i need to download.

Miami Steve
16-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Interestingly, that is the opposite of the problem encountered here (http://driverzone.com/obb/read.php?TID=374). It certainly appears that you are not the only one who is having trouble getting that drive to work.

Good luck
Miami

Graham L
17-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Try booting a Linux live CD if the machine will handle it. Those "floppy tapes" were supported as standard ('ftape") in the early Linux at least. I'm not sure if the Travan was done.

The main problems with those tapes were tedious slowness, and high unreliability, as well as the very high price of the tapes. I got a recent Travan drive and some tapes with a P166 box a while ago, and I haven't even plugged the drive in.

agent_24
17-07-2004, 01:58 PM
where would i get a linux live CD from?

Graham L
17-07-2004, 02:17 PM
DSE have a Knoppix/Morphix one for $6.95 (the CPU/memory requirements might be a problem for a W95 machine ... ). Various magazine cover CDs have had them. I haven't looked for the supoport in recent (last 5 years or so) Linux releases. But they tend to leave things in. :D

Graham L
17-07-2004, 02:21 PM
"ftape travan linux" to Google will find you the HOWTO for these tapes. It's well worth a read.