PDA

View Full Version : Good combat flight games?

mejobloggs
15-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Im looking for a new combat flight game. The most recent one I have played is Red Baron 2, so I am a bit behind with them.

Anyway, I have a joystick, just a basic one, sidewinder 1 or something. And I want to use it. Will I need to get a pedal/rudder thingymajig?

I will play 99.9% offline, so it needs to have very good offline play. I liked the Red Baron way of having a career, and getting promoted to captain, and then having access to new planes and whatnot.

Please reccomend some combat flight sims to me.

Thanks!

Fire-and-Ice
15-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Might be a good idea to tell people what your system is so they know what it can handle. ;-)

metla
15-07-2004, 11:11 PM
http://www.il2sturmovik.com/ is considered the holy grail,I never managed to enjoy it,I must be lacking something that only the "hardcore" possess.

I did get many months of enjoyment from MS Flight Combat Simulator 3,although that was panned by those in the know.It does tend to have the odd screaming halt,which apears to be a case of poor coding as all machines ive run it on got the stutters.

Still,a good involved action packed and freindly game....in a hostile killing others kind of way.

agent_24
16-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Try Freespace, any version.

Biggles
16-07-2004, 09:00 AM
CF3 3 is a good, but not great combat sim. If you've played Red Baron 2 then you'll find the career mode in CFS3 disappointing - a great shame considering both products were project managed by the same guy. But it does have the benefit of allowing add-on planes and there's plenty available on the Net.

I've never played Sturmvik cause no one sent it to me to review and I'm a cheap bastard, but as Metla says, among the WW2 sim crowd its considered the leader -- except of course by those who consider CF3 to be the leader. The two cmaps don't play nicely together.

mejobloggs
16-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Win XP
Geforce 2 mx 400
Athlon XP 2000
256mb Ram

metla
16-07-2004, 11:11 AM
That card will make Combat Flight Sim 3 unplayable im afraid.

heaton
16-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Combat FS3 works ok for me but I like Combat FS2 better. Some of the older programmes were much better. I used to love Jane's Fighters Anthology but it does not want to run properly on my XP system. Anybody know why ?
Empire Flying Corps was another good one which worked on windows 95 but no good in XP. IL2 is not bad but the Russian Plane is a real nasty to fly and the target identification is awful. Jane's WW2 is not bad if you don't mind flying over all that ice and snow. Cheers......heaton

Dolby Digital
16-07-2004, 01:45 PM
>>a great shame considering both products were project managed by the same guy
But you know how it is Bruce. With Microsoft, there are other forces at work. I'm sure a project manager at Microsoft would be subject to this :)

mejobloggs
16-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks to metla about the Geforce 2 making combat flight sim 3 unplayable, I was looking at that.

I have downloaded the demo of Freespace 2, and will check it out soon. I like space flight games. G-Police was great. Freelancer was good, but I can think of heaps of ways it could have been better. I didn't like the mouse flight for one, and there wasn't much to do on it.

It is a bit hard for me to get demos, as I have a 1gb cap. Wasn't there some guy here that was looking at selling demo cd's?

ferrite
16-07-2004, 10:00 PM
try lock on.latest hight tech flight sim.u might wanna spent 70 bucks and get a dig joy stick cheers.

ferrite
16-07-2004, 10:03 PM
very sorry belay my thread u havent enough ram.sorry

mejobloggs
16-07-2004, 11:51 PM
K, thanks.

Been having a look at Freespace 2 demo, and it looks pretty cool.

The only thing is, and doesnt seem to recognise the slider thing on my joystick, so I cant use it for speed control, which is a bit dumb, because its perfect for it.

Where on earth do you buy this game from? Seems to be very limited supply.

Can you dock in space stations like on freelancer?

Shaun Minfie
17-07-2004, 09:03 AM
>
> It is a bit hard for me to get demos, as I have a 1gb
> cap. Wasn't there some guy here that was looking at
> selling demo cd's?

What connection do you have? If your on DSL then the jetstream FTP has lots of demos and you can access then with out affecting your cap.

Pete O\'Neil
17-07-2004, 09:27 AM
If you liked Freelancer try XIII its everything Freelancer wasnt. You can get fleets of ships and buy space stations while still flying round in your ship.

mejobloggs
17-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Sweet. Sounds awesome.

I have a full jetstream connection. I had it downloading at 720 kb/s the other day. Nearly 1mb a second, it was amazing.

I try to download from ftp.jetstreamgames, but I could not find any flight games there.

I see that they have XIII. I did not know what that was, thanks for telling me.

Pete O\'Neil
17-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Opps sorry i got confused XIII isnt the game i was talking about opps sorry. X2 - the threat also sometimes refered to as XII. X2 is pretty good, not quite as polished as Freelancer but there is way more to do. Fingers crossed one day we get Freelancer 2. I remember back when i was at high school me and some mates spent 3 days straight playing that on a lan. We got about 4 hrs sleep each night. Nothing cooler than flying in formation as the angry Rhienland police swoop in.

mejobloggs
17-07-2004, 09:47 AM
xIII demo only multiplayer?

Whats the dif between Xiii and XIII?

Pete O\'Neil
17-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Have a look here:
http://www.enlight.com/x2/

mejobloggs
17-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Looks great! Complicated controls though. Heaps of them. I think somewhere in between X2 and Freelancer, plus added ideas from players and fans would rock! I guess its not going to happen though, but one can dream.

mejobloggs
20-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I like x2 very much, except the price.

Has anyone played http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/ open source thing like x2.

I am going to try that