PDA

View Full Version : Locked Out, Keyboard driver corrupt.

college
15-07-2004, 08:44 PM
I'm running XP, and have screwed up downloading a keyboard driver.
The net result is that the computor can't see my keyboard in any mode, and I can't logon because I can't type my password. Once I'm in I should be able to use system restore, but what do I do now?????

In frustration, College.

Sb0h
15-07-2004, 08:47 PM
You should be able to boot from your Win XP disc to repair the installation.

college
15-07-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm just a bit paranoid at losing "all my stuff", If I boot up from the installation disc, could I end up losing any files?
Thanks for the prompt reply.

somebody
15-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi College, and welcome to PressF1

Boot in as "safe mode" - when your computer is just past the BIOS screen (the bit where it counts up the RAM and tells you what drive syou have), hit and hold down F8. Then select "Safe mode". This will take you into windows, in a mode which uses generic Windows drivers, so it should allow you to use your keyboard there.

If your keyboard doesn't work, how can you hit F8 and select safe mode you might ask? When it's in that early stage of the booting process, the keyboard is run by the CMOS, and is not affected by windows drivers.

Sb0h
15-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Hmmm, it didn't last time I tried, it should only modify your Win XP system files....not that you have much choice really. Just make sure you choose the repair option and not the full format and setup option.
Is your keyboard USB or PS/2?

You may need to use a different connection or keyboard in the hope of a generic PnP driver working so you can repair the WinXP install.

Try an old keyboard first and see what happens.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
15-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Have you got a basic, old, generic keyboard lying around anywhere? I find those extrememly helpful at the most difficult times. They shouldn't need any drivers other than the ones already loaded in WinXP. What keyboard do you have?

somebody
15-07-2004, 09:06 PM
I forgot to mention - in Safe mode, change the keyboard driver back to a Generic Windows driver, and reboot your computer.

college
15-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your help
I have tried safe mode... no joy
I have also tried another keyboard
I guess it is "system restore" and hope I don't screw it up.

or perhaps pulling the hard drive out, setting it up as a slave on another long suffering friends computor, and getting into it that way.....

tommy
15-07-2004, 09:26 PM
> I'm just a bit paranoid at losing "all my stuff", If
> I boot up from the installation disc, could I end up
> losing any files?

There is no guarantee that files will not be lost. If I remember correctly Windows does warn that data may be lost. If your data is valuable and you have no backups you would be best to try saving it on another computer before you attempt a repair.

college
15-07-2004, 09:28 PM
A little further info
I have been able to get in to a limited account, which tells me that
"windows cannot initiliaze this device..... Code 37"

I was using a wireless keyboard, and have also tried a wired compaq keyboard.

Sb0h
15-07-2004, 10:23 PM
The device has not been detected correctly by windows. You'll have to uninstall it and try again. Can you get to the system restore feature with an old keyboard and roll it back?

willie_M
15-07-2004, 10:47 PM
I thought there was a feature in the early stages of boot.... like restore to last known good configuration or something....

Wouldn't that work?

Pheonix
16-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Some really good explanations here (http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm) with pictures as well. Have a look below all those links at the top of the page , and you can find the various ways you could repair.