PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update

migdale
14-07-2004, 04:19 PM
For the past few weeks I am not able to get through to the Windows update web site at all.
When I plug the web address into IE6 I consistently get a blank page.
I've tried using Netscape with the same web address request and in response I get a page advising me that I need IE6 to access windows update.
Does anyone have an answer to this frustrating catch 22.
Thanks for your help.

andrew93
14-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Have you recently installed any software that may block the page in some way? Have you got a personal firewall and has anything in there changed recently? In other words, what has changed since you were last able to download the updates?

Oxie
14-07-2004, 05:32 PM
migdale

Have you by any chance changed your security settings in IE?

Have you tried accessing the page from Start, Windows Update?
Have you tried accessing the page from within IE, ie Tools, Windows Update?
Have you tried accessing the page from Help and Support, Pick a Task and Windows Update (assuming you have XP)?

Have you tried clearing all temp files out of IE?

By the way Netscape will not allow you access to Windows Update. You have to use IE.

Oxie (Lyn)

migdale
14-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Oxie

Thanks for your suggestions.
I have in fact tried all that you suggest.
When I try to access the update page with IE6 (by all the routs that you mention) all I get is a blank page and at the bottom right the message in the task bar is "done" or sometimes "done with errors on the page"
Ironically, I try to access the page with Netscape I can navigate up to the point of downloading the updates and then I get the message that I need IE6 to do this.
Any more suggestions would be welcomed.

migdale
14-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Andrew 93

I get the same result with Norton Firewall as well as when I disable it.
No new Software that I can think of. except I did install Netscape but I get this problem when Netscape is not active and IE6 is still the default browser.

Oxie
14-07-2004, 06:06 PM
migdale

Have you tried doing a Repair of IE under Add/Remove Programs?

Oxie (Lyn)

migdale
14-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Oxie(Lyn)

Re: Repair of IE under Add/Remove programmes. Not too sure how to do this.
When I access the add?remove the only option I seem to get is Remove.