PDA

View Full Version : Can no longer access secure sites

John L.
14-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Hello all,
Today I went to access my banking site and got a DNS error. On checking further I find I can no suddenly no longer access any secure sites (https://).
I have on problem with any sites that are not secure (http://).

I also notice that Nortons internet security is saying security is not operational.
If I try to download updates for it or Nortons virus checker downloading fails.
I am told I am not registered for these updates. This I know to be rubbish.
I also cant seem to get to the user Id part of Nortons to change permissions in this area. The button is greyed out.

My operating system is XP PRO with SP1 installed.

Any ideas on what will have bought about this change and how I can change it back will be appreciated.

Regards John L.

Susan B
14-07-2004, 02:41 PM
I would say that your inability to access secure sites is due to Nortons. There have been quite a few people having problems with Norton's software recently and the usual cure is to completely uninstall it, including removing all remaining traces of the software (run a registry cleaner) then reinstall.

It would pay to visit the Symantec website and search for more information on exactly what needs removing.

John L.
15-07-2004, 07:27 AM
> I would say that your inability to access secure
> sites is due to Nortons. There have been quite a few
> people having problems with Norton's software
> recently and the usual cure is to completely
> uninstall it, including removing all remaining traces
> of the software (run a registry cleaner) then
> reinstall.
>
> It would pay to visit the Symantec website and search
> for more information on exactly what needs removing.

Thanks Susan,
The problem was further compounded by the fact that Nortons didn't recognise any of my users as having user privileges so I was unable to install it.
I finally overcame the problem by doing a system restore to a restore point of about a week ago. What on earth the cause was though I still haven't a clue.

John L.

John L.
20-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Susan,
The problem was with an update for my HP PSC 1350 printer not in Nortons as we thought.

Lesson learnt

Always create a restore point before doing any new install of software so you can return to this point imediately if need be.

John L.

Susan B
21-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Well now, I would never have thought a printer would cause that kind of problem. :O

Glad that you solved it - thanks for letting us know. :-)

45South
21-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Bit O/T to the thread topic, but on the subject of printers causing problems, my HP Photosmart 1000 suddenly stopped working & was throwing up all sorts of weird errors when I tried to print.
After exhausting all the usual driver reinstalls etc. I hit google for some answers & after about an hour tracked the problem down to a Zone Alarm update to the latest version 5.0
Apparently Zone Alarm 5.0 & some photosmart printers don't play nicely together.
Reverting back to my old version fixed my printing woes.
Who would have thought a firewall would stop my printer working!!

Murray P
21-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Yep, and I suspect John's issue is more with Nortons or some such than the printer. The printer like the ZA issue is just the victim.

Cheers Murray P