14-07-2004, 09:54 AM
and....?? your question is??

Poppa John
14-07-2004, 10:03 AM
P H O.......Thankyou for the advice. PJ

Susan B
14-07-2004, 10:11 AM
> and....?? your question is??

There is no need to be smart, the writer is obviously providing information that is useful to at least some of us. :|

Marg: Thanks for that. I don't have auto-update notification on so the advice was appreciated here. :-)

<starts downloading>

Ladybug
14-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Great - thanks for the reminder!!!!

:) Bug

somebody
14-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Susan, I simply did not understand the reason for the post. To me it sounded potentially like the writer was questioning why there have been 5 new updates, or asking what to do, how to go about installing the updates etc.

I was not intending to be smart and I apologise to the author for any offence caused - the wording could have been better.

Steve Askew
14-07-2004, 11:42 AM
> Great - thanks for the reminder!!!!
>
> :) Bug

Thanks too, I found 7 critical updates for my pc :-), I must be slacking :-(

I'm running latest version of Zonealarm & it told me that ms updates wants to access the net, I never got that prompt with previous versions of Zonealarm :O

Steve

stu120404
14-07-2004, 12:11 PM
pulling hair out can you tell us which updates there are?

metla
14-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Just been a roll out,

On the same day that Microsoft released seven new security bulletins for the Windows operating system, four new "extremely critical" vulnerabilities in the Internet Explorer Web browser were announced Tuesday by a Denmark-based computer security firm.

expect a few more.

This is getting beyond silly now,Ms should retire IE,make a patch that locks it away and never let it return.

Then they should give Mozilla a few billion and provide that as an update.

And while they are doing so they should give the people behind Spybot at least 10 billion,its the only app in many cases that keeps windows usable.

Susan B
14-07-2004, 01:49 PM
> I was not intending to be smart

I am pleased to hear that. It is very difficult to tell sometimes, what with some of the smart arses we get on this forum at times. I don't like to see people who are trying to make a helpful contribution get knocked back.

Neil McC
14-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks.
:D

andrew93
14-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks Marg

tweak\'e
14-07-2004, 05:31 PM
don't worry somebody i was about to post the same comment this morning. they could a least provided some details after all picking up 5 updates on the autoupdate is not something to write home about as they could be weeks/months old.

stu120404
14-07-2004, 06:25 PM
> pulling hair out can you tell us which updates there
> are?

?:|

tweak\'e
14-07-2004, 08:54 PM
as far as i know the updates are ............

"(New)Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 5.5 SP2 (KB823353), 7/9/2004
Download size: 840 KB
A vulnerability exists in Outlook Express that could allow an attacker to cause Outlook Express to fail. You can help protect your computer by installing this update. After you install this update you may need to restart your computer. Details...
Applies to: Windows 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4

(New)Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 (KB823353), 7/9/2004
Download size: 856 KB
A vulnerability exists in Outlook Express that could allow an attacker to cause Outlook Express to fail. You can help protect your computer by installing this update. After you install this update you may need to restart your computer. Details...
Applies to: Windows XP RTM

(New)Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353), 7/9/2004
Download size: 1.9 MB
Applies to: Windows 2000 SP2, Windows 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP RTM, Windows XP SP1

(New)Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows Server 2003 (KB823353), 7/9/2004
Download size: 1.3 MB
Applies to: Windows Server 2003 family, Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition RTM

(New)Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB839645), 7/9/2004
Download size: 1.4 MB
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
Applies to: Windows 2000 SP2, Windows 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4

(New)Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB840315), 7/9/2004
Download size: 364 KB
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(New)Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841872), 7/9/2004
Download size: 346 KB
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(New)Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841873), 7/9/2004
Download size: 579 KB
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(New)Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB842526), 7/9/2004
Download size: 709 KB

(New)Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB839645), 7/9/2004
Download size: 2.7 MB
Applies to: Windows Server 2003 family, Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition RTM

(New)Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB840315), 7/9/2004
Download size: 368 KB

(New)Security Update for Windows XP (KB839645), 7/9/2004
Download size: 3.8 MB
Applies to: Windows XP RTM, Windows XP SP1

(New)Security Update for Windows XP (KB840315), 7/9/2004
Download size: 374 KB

(New)Security Update for Windows XP (KB841873), 7/9/2004
Download size: 882 KB

(New)Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773), 7/9/2004
Download size: 635 KB
This software updates the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to v2.0 and updates WinHTTP. These updates help ensure an optimal download experience with future versions of Automatic Updates, Windows Update, and other programs that rely on BITS to transfer files using idle network bandwidth. Details...
Applies to: Windows XP RTM, Windows XP SP1"

pulling hair out
15-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Hi Somebody,

No offence taken. Would have replied earlier but I have been out most of day till 10.30 this evening and didn't realise people would reply to the post.

The only critical updates suggested by MS update site for my computer were as follows: KB840315, KB841873, KB839645 which were Security updates for Windows XP (my OS), and also KB823353 a Culmulative Security update for Windows XP and KB842773 an update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (Bits) 2.0 and Win Http 5.1, and that is why I mentioned 5. I was not aware of any others as the update page only told me what I needed.

Also on the site were 2 older WinXP updates (not critical) which I didn't want, and a driver for a Compaq Mouse which was of not interest to me.

I get to the Update Page via Start>Progams>Windows Update. I was notified by Microsoft that they were there. You are able to choose if you want to download them.

I assumed that everyone else does the same, therefore felt that a very brief subject heading was all that was necessary so you didn't have to open the post.

Regards Marg.

PS. Can't resist using a common phrase that is used by some who reply to posts. .....have you done a search via Google (in this case MS) to find out the information yourself before posting a question to F1 forum.........
Please believe I am saying this in a teasing way and do not intend any offence. ;\ :^O :^O :^O

somebody
15-07-2004, 09:00 AM
> PS. Can't resist using a common phrase that is used
> by some who reply to posts. .....have you done a
> search via Google (in this case MS) to find out the
> information yourself before posting a question to F1
> forum.........
> Please believe I am saying this in a teasing way and
> do not intend any offence. ;\ :^O :^O :^O

I have to say that I've been guilty of doing that a couple of times :8}

whiskeytangofoxtrot
15-07-2004, 09:55 AM
> > pulling hair out can you tell us which updates
> there
> > are?
>
> ?:|
>

Why don't you just go there and look?

stu120404
15-07-2004, 05:23 PM
> > > pulling hair out can you tell us which updates
> > there
> > > are?
> >
> > ?:|
> >
>
> Why don't you just go there and look?

Maybe because it is a lot easier to read what there are in the forums then to go over to windows update.

tbacon_nz
15-07-2004, 05:30 PM
I had problems installing the Outlook Express update - I kept getting "unable to copy file xxx" where xxx was a large number of different files. Happened every time I attempted it on my PC - no problem on the other PC in the house. Both running XP Home, I don't use OE as my mail client, the other does. Anybody else had the same experience, and any ideas why it might be happening?

Tony Bacon

Growly
16-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Aw hell...

*Pushes to front of line*