PDA

View Full Version : Modem problem

Brian
13-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi there!

I have a modem problem.

Whenever I connect to the Internet it disconnects and a message comes up and says something to the following effect:

The modem is using another dial-up connection, disconnect from the connection and try dialling again

I had a look at the dial-up Networking folder and there is only one dial-up connection to Xtra.

I ran a diagnosis check of the modem, and the computer has cannot communicate with the modem. The suggestions are that the modem is either not correctly connected, or change the IRQ number.

Do any of you think that the modem is dead and needs replacing?

The OS is Win 95 and the computer is a Compaq Presario.

TIA for any help!
Brian

Graham L
13-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Go to Settings/Control Centre/System/hardware manager and try to reinstall the driver. (the "better driver" ). If that doesn't work, "Remove" the modem. Then shutdown, restart, and let the system reinstall the modem. You have got a disk with the modem driver? :D (You can almost certainly download one).

Bam Bam1
13-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Have you checked that there are no IRQ conflicts? Do you use a serial mouse or scanner? since these also use a com port they could be causing the conflict e.g. If the modem is using Com 1 and the mouse is Com 3 which are actually the same Com port and can not be shared and used at the same time (like wise with Com 2 & 4).

If so change one to a different COM port and try again.

Regards

beama
14-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Not quite correct Bam Bam, yes 1 & 3, 2 & 4 use the same IRQ, but you can change the addressing (this is different from IRQ'S) of these com ports to over come this (done through the OS or BIOS). I have a pc with 6 com ports and yes I use add in card for the other two.

Brian
14-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Hi Bam Bam...

Could you tell me how to change COM ports?

Cheers,
Brian

Bam Bam1
14-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Sorry beama but I thought that IRQ's can not be shared and used at the same time (eg. not a problem if you were using a serial scanner and modem at different times). I understand that you can manually configure the addresses and IRQ of com ports, and PCI add-in port cards help by cutting down to only 1 IRQ per card which makes things a lot easier with less chance of conflicts.

However Brian instead of going in and trying to configure addresses and IRQ's, the first thing (and probably the simplest - I hope) to try would be swapping the mouse (if it is the serial mouse that is causing the conflict) over to another serial port.

PS. going into control panel >> system >> device manager >> highlight system then click properties shows you what resources is being used by what. Check IRQ (interrupt requests) to see what IRQ's are being used.