PDA

View Full Version : Major Issues with 9800PRO

HadO
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers and ripped out the old Ti4600 - put in 9800 PRO, connected extra power and started up system.

Got into Windows OK and proceeded to install MSI ATI drivers - this went smoothly and asked me to restart and I clicked OK.

Upon rebooting Windows stopped on startup and told me it had to check multiple (almost all) partitions for consistency (using CHKDSK) and found some problems on some and none on others. I get to the logon screen and am told that my user profile is corrupt and then get blasted with multiple "Delayed Write" error messages for all partitions.

I assume the driver install went astray so reload an old image of my C:\ and try some Catalyst drivers - same thing happens. I can get into Safe Mode and uninstall the drivers but even that sometimes does not work and the system reboots when it is entering safe mode! The system still has to check my partitions on startup when the old image is restored.

Any ideas??? Please Help

Specs: XP Home SP1, XP2000+ @ 2600+, 512MB DDR333, 400W PSU

Growly
12-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Is there another computer you can try it out in?

Try running your CPU at normal clock speeds and see what happens.

Intel Hunter
12-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi HadO,

I presume you have overclocked your machine, going from what you have written.
I had similar problems when upgrading to my Ti4600 from my old videocard. I found after extensive tests, the fact that my machine was overclocked it wouldn't run, putting it back to defaults fixed my problem.

Hope this helps

overdrive_5000
12-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi have you tried flashing your bios because I had the exact same problem when i installed my 9600XT then I flashed my bios and used the latest catalyst drivers then it worked sweet as. Hope that helps

HadO
12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Are you talking about motherboard or graphics card BIOS?

I'm pretty sure I've flashed my mobo up to latest release - will have to check.

What happened to your system?

It's strange that just installing the drivers has had such interesting side effects - my winxp user profile gets corrupted every time and the CHKDSK programme insists on checking the file system of my partitions on startup each time.

I have given up at the moment and will try some more things tomorrow with a fresh brain.

If all else fails I am considering making a backup image and reinstalling Windows (I would really want to avoid this).

kiki
12-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Likely you have remainders of the Nvidia drivers in your system.

What you need to do is get one of those detonator destroyer programs, or something similar to kill them out completely as they remain in the system and slow down your card. Even then you might not be rid of them.

What I did was a fresh install of windows and my performance increased 600 points in 3dMark03, so something was holding it back!

Get the Catalyst 4.7s as well if you haven't already.

PaulD
12-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Have you tried any of the so called Windows "Tweaks" in the past. There was one for memory management that was a bad idea anytime but fatal with ATI video cards included.

HadO
13-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Hmmm... The drama continues...

Did a fresh install of Windows 2000 Pro and spent an entire day getting the system back up to speed (everything was running fine) and what do you know my logon profile got corrupted again and Windows now fails to boot with error:

AUTOCHK not found, skipping AUTOCHK

and then blue screens. Cant get into safe mode or anything.

I'm starting to think my hard drive is dying or something - I'm really running out of options here... :o(

agent
13-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Could it be a power issue?

Perhaps you should try the computer with your old video card back in. Presuming it works fine then, I would most likely attribute it to the fact that the ATI card requires an extra power connector.

Pete O\'Neil
14-07-2004, 01:11 PM
> Could it be a power issue?
>
> Perhaps you should try the computer with your old
> video card back in. Presuming it works fine then, I
> would most likely attribute it to the fact that the
> ATI card requires an extra power connector.

I'd have to agree what brand of PSU is that? You did remember to plug in the extra power connector for your 9800pro? On the MSI card its a small floppy connector at the top of the card near the HSF. The 9800 uses alot more power than the ti4400 so i'd be willing to bet thats your problem.

HadO
15-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi,

Reinstalled Ti4600 and reloading Win2000 and all apps etc (again) - has been running fine.

I think the power supply could be an issue - it is a 400W unit but is unbranded and I guess that is the next logical place to look at.

I noticed that with the 9800PRO installed my system fans seemed a bit quieter and my slave HDD falied to initialise a couple of times.

I assume the power drain could be causing the HDDs to spin slower or the heads to move slower and that could be causing the data corruption. I did not have any issues until installing the 9800PRO so I guess I'll be getting a new power supply tomorrow.

Any recommendations on brands? I was thinking a Task 420W should do the trick.

Your comments will be appreciated - Thanks

Pete O\'Neil
15-07-2004, 05:57 PM
never heard of task so i wouldnt touch it with a 10foot barge bole, have a look at a Thermaltake 420watt they're good value for money. You've just brought a 9800pro so why be cheap on the PSU? People alway overlook a PSU when its really one of the most important componets. If you dont like thermaltake as many people do the Enermex 380watt is cheap enough and will power your system easy. Just remember that wattage isnt everything. A cheap 500watt will get its ass kicked by that 380watt Enermex.

CYaBro
15-07-2004, 06:00 PM
What you gonna do with your Ti4600??? :D

agent
15-07-2004, 06:03 PM
If 400W isn't enough, it'll be likely that you might need 450-500W - and this will also make your computer ready to take on additional devices in later upgrades.

That said, if you buy from a decent vendor, if 420W doesn't do the trick you should be able to exchange it for something better no problem.

If you want to spend the extra money on reliable brands, get something like an Antec or Thermaltake PSU.

Pete O\'Neil
15-07-2004, 06:30 PM
> If 400W isn't enough, it'll be likely that you might
> need 450-500W - and this will also make your computer
> ready to take on additional devices in later
> upgrades.

Thats a lil bit excessive, if you really want to future proof your system a 420w Enermex would be a good choice.

I run a 2.2Ghz Athlon 1024Mb RAM, 80Gb + 2x120Gb 2xoptical drives 4xcase fans and a Radeon 9800pro on a Thermaltake 420w. No stability problems what so ever.

agent
15-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Well that suggests that HadO's current 400W is either not 400W or a super-cheap brand which doesn't perform as well as Thermaltake.

Pete O\'Neil
15-07-2004, 07:51 PM
> Well that suggests that HadO's current 400W is either
> not 400W or a super-cheap brand which doesn't perform
> as well as Thermaltake.

Seeing as the majority of PSU sold on the market are super cheap then i think its safe to assume that his 400W is pretty crap. Wattage isnt everything when it comes to PSU, your better off looking at the on each rail.

Have a look at this thread over at OCNZ for some tips and advice on buying a quality PSU:
http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8661&highlight=PSU

Sb0h
15-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Agreed, go for an Enermax 465, rated at 431W Max continuous. I run a heap of drives in my system and it doesn't miss a beat. :x