PDA

View Full Version : Attention Please Moderator

heaton
09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Since downloading and using OPERA I am unable to log on F1. I tried to set up another account using the user name epitectus but it still won't recognise me. Can you help please ?

Fire-and-Ice
09-07-2004, 07:41 PM
It is unlikely to be the browsers fault if you have not changed any of the default settings since installing. Check out your firewall settings, popup blocker, adblocker and anything else you might have running - disable them all and try logging in again.

robo
09-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes, absolutely. It's not meant to be hard.
robo.
(notice how I refrained from asking how they logged in to ask the question? I thought that was a nice touch)

Fire-and-Ice
09-07-2004, 07:58 PM
> (notice how I refrained from asking how they logged
> in to ask the question? I thought that was a nice
> touch)

Using Internet Explorer which is trying to prevent his escape. :-(

Fire-and-Ice
10-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Any success yet Heaton? Someone else was having problems logging onto bank sites, etc with Firefox yesterday and it turned out that his firewall needed readjusting. Have you had a look at yours? ;-)

heaton
12-07-2004, 06:21 PM
No success yet. And yes for the info of others I have had to revert to internet explorer in order to post this. Not quite sure what you mean by adjusting my firewall. I am running zone alarm free version and no problem with internet explorer so why should it be any different with opera. Also I tried to get my mail to come in via mail washer to opera but unable to figure that one. It automatically brings up Outlook Express. This whole exercise was to try and avoid the necessity of having to download so many patches for internet explorer but I am wondering if it is worth it. Opera tells you there are bad cookies and then tells you that you cannot log in to their mail unless you allow cookies so the frustration level here is reaching boiling point. Cheers............heaton

Elephant
12-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Well I use WinXP pro. Browser is IE6.

It appears to me that there are people here that would have you use other browsers, Email clients, other operating systems etc.

Why not use what works for you?

Here comes another Linux war once again!

If you have two or more computers you can go practice on various operating systems, browsers, email clients etc.

The fact remains that most people use a version of Windows to use the internet.

Some people use a version of Linux or Unix or BeOS or MSDos or DRDos or whatever.

For me I use WinXP Pro and use Norton for antivirus, Norton Ghost to make an image of my first hard drive. Also I run Office and use Outlook as my Email client.

No problem getting on to PressF1 most times.

R2x1
12-07-2004, 07:49 PM
If Zone Alarm is not told to let a program access the internet, then, it won't get out. (Depending on your set-up preferences) Open ZA, select [Program Control] tab on the left, then select [Programs] tab on the upper right. Ensure that Opera is selected to "Allow" (green tick) for Internet and trusted zones, and all should be well.

Cheers,
R2

Susan B
12-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Sorry to hear that your experience with Opera is proving to be less than a happy one, Heaton. :-(

It sounds like you have disallowed cookies, would that be right? If so then that would be the reason you can't log on to PF1 as it requires cookies to be enabled. I would not worry too much about "bad cookies" whilst using Opera, they are not as big a threat as some of the bad things that can happen whilst using IE.

If you can browse the internet then Zone Alarm will not be blocking your access unless it has some other kind of protective function apart from firewall. I don't use ZA so wouldn't be able to advise there, nor can I help with the Mailwasher problem.

Unfortunately using Opera will not make any difference to the number of patches you need to download for Internet Explorer because IE is very closely entwined into Windows. You will also still need to download the Opera updates when they are issued in order to keep your browser and Windows secure.

One of the major benefits to using Opera is the fact that malicious ActiveX code cannot run on it like it will with IE so you are much safer when browsing the internet. You can also disable those annoying popups within the program instead of having to use a third-party popup stopper like you would in IE. Another bonus is the handy feature of tabbed browsing.

Having said all that, if you find that Opera is far too frustrating for you and you would prefer to use Internet Explorer then there is nothing preventing you from doing so. Computers are supposed to be for our enjoyment, not to make our blood boil! :-)

heaton
13-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks Susan I will persevere with Opera as it has got a lot of features and as you have advised it is more secure that IE.

Posted by: Elephant Posts: 1191 / From: Tokoroa, NZ / Registered: Jun, 2002
Well I use WinXP pro. Browser is IE6.It appears to me that there are people here that would have you use other browsers, Email clients, other operating systems etc.Why not use what works for you?Here comes another Linux war once again!

Thanks Elephant but what put me off IE is the publicity about the security loopholes which apparently Microsoft is a bit slow in plugging. While it is taking some time to close the loopholes with secuity updates, one could be accessed by a hacker. But thanks for your comments .