PDA

View Full Version : Pincushion & trapezoidal correction on IBM G96 monitors?

Billy T
09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi Team

I'm trying to set up a second-hand G96 and the on-screen menu doesn't include pincusion, trapezoidal or image rotation correction, all of which this monitor desperately needs.

All the data I can access on the Net says it has those adjustments, but I can find nothing to tell me how to do it. They are supposed to be digital and I don't have a driver for it, but I can't find that either.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

Murray P
09-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Does this do it (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4FB37K)

Cheers Murray P

Billy T
09-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Nope, thanks Murray, but unfortunately there is no driver for W2000, however I suspect that is not the problem. The OSD doesn't provide a geometry option at all, and I'm not sure that those features would hide in the drivers either, though it is possible of course.

I have worked my way right through IBM's site, and their monitor instructions appear to be generic to all models. Naturally they include the adjustments I want to make, but show them as accessible from the OSD!!!

I could try the W98 driver but before I do that, I'd kinda like to know if anybody else has got access to the geometry adjustments on this or any closely related IBM monitor using W2k or XP.

The pincushion and trapezoidal errors are just enough to be annoying.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

Murray P
09-07-2004, 09:51 PM
The adjustments wouldn't be tucked away under the hood would they (bear in mind monitors are not my thing).

Nothing at Driver Guide either but, I thought that IBM bundle I pinted at included an application. Seems blimmin odd that they would leave out somthing like that. You sure the gui for the adjustments isn't activated by a button comination like one of my monitors?

Cheers Murray P

Billy T
09-07-2004, 11:13 PM
I've looked everywhere Murray, but short of lifting the hood there is nothing I can see. It's not mine (yet) so I can't butcher it too much. It only has four buttons and I've tried all the usual combinations including time related.

Later on I'll try switching on with various buttons held down, that may be how they have kept out inquisitive fingers!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Murray P
10-07-2004, 01:18 AM
One other thought, long shot coming, it'll be rebadged product right? it should have a factory name or ID, maybe, they have a similar monitor that they produce under their own name or rebadge for others. Alternative manuals to study may give up the info..... said it was long. One more, the adjustments are supposed to be automatically set at start up (self tested) but something is on the blink.

Cheers Murray P

andrew93
10-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi Billy

I found a pdf version of the manual for the G96 monitor through the IBM website here (ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/visuals/english-g96.pdf)

Apprently you can get to the pincushion, trapezoid, parallelogram, pincushion balance, rotation and moire functions through the advanced OSD option (3rd from top on LHS of the OSD menu). Haven't tried it myself (different monitor) but I think this is what you are looking for.

Andrew

andrew93
10-07-2004, 01:54 AM
... and if you zoom page 7 of the manual to about 400% then you can see which buttons are which ....

Greg S
10-07-2004, 02:41 AM
It may not apply to your monitor, but when I had geometry probs with my previous Philips monitor, I was advised of hidden (tech support-only) facility to micro-adjust the settings. They were accessed by a certain combination of pressing the monitor front buttons in a certain sequence/combination. Perhaps you could experiment.

Billy T
10-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Well, last night I tried all combinations of buttons and timings, and guess what?

I found out how to lock the OSD so that I can't access it any more. :_|

*sigh* :(

I guess I'l go look at that manual now Andrew.

Maybe I'll find a way out of this maze one day. :|

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
10-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Oh dear :8}

Problems solved, a quick R of TFM and all was revealed. Unlocking just needed a 10 second hold of the OSD button. On present form I probably would have figured that out by lunchtime tomorrrow.

As for geometry, for some strange (read pre-wired thinking) reason I had skipped past the advanced function as being a height or width setting. It doesn't do top and bottom pincushion but that is not an issue as those errors are slight.

On getting a proper display I now find that the screen has suffered an impact at some time that has shifted the shadowmask slightly. When it gets thoroughly warmed up it develops colour blemishes down the LH side of the screen (beam registration issues, not purity, though the two effect look identical).

So it was all for nothing. :_| :_|

Thanks to all for the help.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg S
10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
> Oh dear :8}
>
> Problems solved

Congrats! And sorry for my bad advice! :8}