PDA

View Full Version : I've taken the plunge - installed Linux

jcr1
08-07-2004, 06:22 PM
I installed Linux Libranet 2.8 (as thats the one I have) and it went well. In the past I've installed it on lower spec'd machines and the installation takes so long it's tedious and half the modules aren't found and Xwindows becomes an ordeal etc. etc.
But, this one went really well; the partitioning tool on the Libranet CD didn't allow me to partition the drive (NTFS) so I dragged out a floppy with BootLT NG and resized the NTFS partition down to 19 gigs, which left about 10 gigs free space for Linux. I let the install process handle it from this point on; it created the linux partition and the swap partition without any intervention and created a Reiser FS file system. Also, I put the bootloader on HDA1.
Configuring Xwindows was abreeze, found sound modules no problem.
Only thing, I need to configure my internet, which is wireless.
It is connected from network device to service interface unit and then by coax cable to aerial. I think I might need some advice with this one?

Murray P
08-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Can't help you with yor wireless but, good going.

Cheers Murray P

Misty
08-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Are you in your manic phase Murray ?? ;\ :D

Don't burn out will you !!! ]:) ]:)

Misty

Murray P
08-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Maniac I think ;\

Cheers Murray ;P

Dolby Digital
09-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Like Murray, I have no experience with wireless networking on Linux. Did it detect the network card on install... or can you configure it post install? I trust it will be a visit to Google.

Jen C
09-07-2004, 11:45 AM
There is a how-to guide on the Libranet support website on configuring a wireless network - here (http://libranet.com/support/2.8/0339).

If you run dmesg in a console window, you should be able to see whether your network device was detected.

Graham L
09-07-2004, 02:51 PM
You need the "wireless-tools" at least, and a driver for the device.

Try iwconfig. If it gives you a "wlan0" device, you are well on the way. Then ifconfig wlan0 <my computer's name> up will make it appear in ifconfig, and you should be able to ping other (working) wireless devices. You might need to "ping other.wireless.device -I wlan0".

The redhat-configure-network knows how to deal with wlan0,soall the others ought to. ;-) There is a HOWTO.

jcr1
09-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your advice, Graham & you too Jen C.
The network devices are identified (Eth 1 & Eth 0) . Eth 1 is the one for my wireless internet device (WAN miniport under networking devices in windows or Service Interface Unit on the back of the device).
I have used PPPoE configuration in Libranet and got the right messages (I think). Using Mozilla it'll get so far, the little watch appears like it's waiting to load website and message at bottom of Mozilla reads something like "Resolving Host www....(whatever Url is I picked)".
So, I feel I'm almost there, but there is some config thingy I'm not doing.
Would I need a proxy server perhaps?
This PPPoE configuration I think is different from setting up a wireless LAN, in some respects and from the little I've read is not such a complex thing, I don't know?
I've asked the lads at Libranet for a bit of advice on this & just waiting for a reply.

jcr1
10-07-2004, 12:15 AM
I've just got a reply from Tal, at Libranet, asking me for system information so he can help me; I got this by running (as root):
/usr/lib/adminmenu/scripts.sh collect_diagnostics

this info was then transferred to: /tmp/system_info.tar.gz
I then copied (using cp) this info onto a floppy (so I could send it as e-mail from Windows) and sent it as an attachment.
So, hopefully Tal will be able to nut something out for me.

Lotsa fun

Murray P
10-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Thought I had it! Just checked out my Mepis network configuation panel, it has wireless, ath0 and wlan0 all for configuring variations on WiFi. All in beautiful GUI and ready to go if I had it of course.Doesn't help you at all to know this jcr1, it just illustrates how quickly Linux is moving along into desktop territory. Then again you could always give Mepis a try if you can't get your working.

Cheers Murray P

jcr1
10-07-2004, 11:37 PM
I figured it out!
I altered the MTU settings from 1452 to 1412, using Midnight Commander, I might add and now I'm posting this, via wireless internet from Libranet Linux.

Guess I'd better e-mail Tal at Libranet support and tell him the good news.

Now, I'm doing this on Mozilla 1.3, which is getting back a bit now and I think I would prefer the latest release of Firefox. Any fishhooks that anyone knows about in installing it on a Debian type distribution.

Jen C
10-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Well done! :)

>I think I would prefer the latest release of Firefox. Any fishhooks that anyone knows about in installing it on a Debian type distribution.

It installs on any distro, just download the package with or without the installer (your choice). You can install it into your home directory if you like and if you are the only user who will be wanting to use Firefox.

jcr1
12-07-2004, 12:19 AM
When I reboot into Linux, I have to use the "poff" command, then the "pon" command in a terminal window i.e. pon dsl-provider.
It works!
I've used synaptic, which comes with Libranet, and installed Firefox 0.8 and Thunderbird. They both work very, very well under Linux.
I was tempted to upgrade the whole distribution, but it would have taken nigh on 6 hours (even with broadband) and I thought "just be cautious to start with and just upgrade as needed.
It seems to be going well at this stage.

Murray P
12-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Just upgrade your network and wireless via Synatic. It will sort out anything else that is required. In Synactic, go to the View menu and choose Section Tree then look for Networking and the app's you use to see if they have updates. Have you refreshed the Synaptic list so that is knows what is out there?

Cheers Murray P

PS. Good work ;)

jcr1
12-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks for your support Murray P.

Yes, I have refreshed Synaptic. Tt's a great tool; I used to use apt-get, from the command line, this is much more convenient to use. Just afunny story about apt-get. About 18 months ago, when I was playing around with an earlier version of Libranet, I used apt-get from a dial up connection (all I had back then); I got it so far, then went to bed as it was sooo slooow. Next morning I checked it and what was Libranet was now pure Debian.

Another tool I've discovered how to use, this time round with Linux, is Midnight Commander, it's much easier to alter settings than with using the likes of Vi and as for emacs, I don't want to go there. Good on those who get to grips with them; but life's too short to have to battle with arcane editors.

Graham L
12-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I have liked and used mc ever since I found it. It's nearly as good as LIST for Dos/Windows. :D It's so much quicker than all the rubbish about mousing, clicking, then deciding what you can open something with. It either knows, or does it. ;-)

By the way, the text editor I use is joe. It's close enough to the WordPro style editor in Turbo Pascal for me to use it easily.. pico is nice and easy too. Emacs is all very well for those who like it. I remove it, because I'd sooner have the disk space. I used TECO once. :_| Sometimes you need to use vi but only in emergencies.