PDA

View Full Version : Virus's, Popups, Trojans etc.

heaton
07-07-2004, 02:37 PM
I am running windows Xp home edition with all the critical updates installed. AVG virus protection kept up to date, Spybot and Adaware current versions.
How is it then that I get OBJECTS coming up in spybot and nasties to be deleted in Adaware when I have got all the above programmes as well as Zone Alarm which is supposed to tell me if anybody is trying to stick something on my computer without me authorising it ? I never accept e-mails unless I know the sender and definitely don't open attachments unless I have saved them to a floppy and run it through AVG virus protection. Is there anything else I can do ?

Susan B
07-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Yes, there is. See your other post in which I recommend changing from Internet Explorer to either Opera or Firefox. It will make a huge difference to your browsing safety and pleasure. :-)

Susan B
07-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Also, many of the "objects" that crop up in Spybot and Adaware are browser cookies which you don't really need to worry too much about. Let Spybot and Adaware delete them but do not be concerned about them.

Pheonix
07-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Try not to get too confused with terms as well. Generally....

Your anti-virus will pick up viruses, worms, and trojans. Programs that reproduce themselves to spread to others.

Adaware and Spybot deal with privacy issues not covered by the anti-virus community. Amoung these are such as tracking cookies, diallers , some keyloggers and homepage hijackers. They do not reproduce or spread to other PC's.

So it is a case of "horses for courses" where those different programs are aimed at different "malware".

Susan B will be quite correct as usual, and not to get concerned.

drcspy
07-07-2004, 05:53 PM
you may need to set spybot to 'immunize'.....that should block further intrusions of crap

heaton
07-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Thank you Susan B. I have downloaded Opera and while I have not had time to fully master all the ins and outs it seems to be working ok. I take it that the recent publicity about internet explorer being very vulnerable to hackers, this Opera is safer to use for web browsing. Once again thanks all.

Capt.Hook
07-07-2004, 07:35 PM
A good choice I reckon.
I've tried all the browsers, heaton,and I personally find Opera the best.It's rock solid and predictable,just how I like it.
Once you find your way around it,you will enjoy it so much better.
Any problems with it,post and ask.

Hook

Susan B
07-07-2004, 07:39 PM
> Thank you Susan B. I have downloaded Opera and while I have not had time to fully master all the ins and outs it seems to be working ok.

That's good. :-)

The Opera website has lots of links to really good tips and tutorial pages for you to get the most out of it if you are interested - it is amazing what Opera can actually do compared to Internet Explorer. It is also highly customisable if you are the fiddling kind, like me. :p

> I take it that the recent publicity about internet explorer being very vulnerable to hackers, this Opera is safer to use for web browsing.

Yes, it is much safer but it is not 100% immune to security exploits all the time. However, when a hole or security issue is discovered the Opera developers fix it and release updated versions very quickly, unlike Microsoft.