PDA

View Full Version : Computer trouble -( Please Help

Annanz
07-07-2004, 03:13 AM
When my computer has been on for at least 20 minutes and you have to do reboot you get strange characters appearing on startup. All the characters that are meant to be there a scattered around the screen. Not to sure how to explain without showing it to you. Hopefully you will understand what Iím trying to explain. This has been happening for about month but has become worst over the last several days.

Also when you are playing Battlefield Vietnam the computer freezes and you get a message something like (Windows has recovered from hardware failure) You cannot not always restart Windows from within Windows and you have to restart computer by using On/Off switch.

Has my Motherboard given up all my Graphics card???

Given the computer good clean out and made sure all my fans are working including the one of the Graphics card. And made sure everything is connected probably.

P4 2.53
1 Gig Ram
Leadtek 4200TI 128MB x8 AGP
120 GB Hard Drive
16 GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro

kiki
07-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Sounds like your video card might be on the way out.

Still under warranty?

pompeymike
07-07-2004, 11:18 AM
I agree, sounds like your graphics card maybe faulty. Make sure that the graphics card is pushed right into the slot; if it's just 1mm out it can cause these sort of symptoms.

Mike

CYaBro
07-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Has that Leadtek ti4200 got a big silver heat sink on it that covers most of the card on both sides?

If so, a mate of mine had the exact same card that did the exact same thing. He got it replaced under warranty but then about 6 months later it did the same thing again!
Also seen another PC with the same card with the same problem.

Must have been a dodgey batch of them!!

Annanz
07-07-2004, 01:31 PM
The Computer and the Graphics Card are not under warranty anymore. Also the card does have big silver heat sink.

CYaBro
07-07-2004, 02:35 PM
That'll be the problem. Time for a new AGP card. :(

Billy T
07-07-2004, 04:29 PM
> The Computer and the Graphics Card are not under
> warranty anymore.

You still have an entitlement to replacement under the Consumer Guarantees Act Anna. Goods must be of merchantible quality and meet a reasonable life expectancy in domestic use.

If the anticipated life was say 5 years, as a rule of thumb you are entitled to expect a no-charge replacement if is is under 18 months old, and perhaps paying a pro-rata price at two to three years old.

Go to the Consumer Affairs website for an overview of the Act and follow links to Consumer magazine and other organisations for a broader view of your rights.

The wording or terms of the manufacturer's guarantee don't let the supplier off the hook. They are responsible for replacing it, and if they want to negotiate with their supplier or send it for independent testing, they can't make you wait for an extended period. Five working days would seem reasonable to me.

If you don't first ask, then insist, you won't get!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)