PDA

View Full Version : Computer seems to have died for no reason

agent_24
06-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Yesterday I took my computer up to a friends house for a lan party but found on arrival that it wouldnt work:

Fans startup, harddrive turns on, so do CD drives;

but nothing onscreen and after a few moments HDD light just turns off.

Crazy as this computer had been on for a while that same morning.

First 3 times it was tried i got alot of quck beeps,
next two times 3 long beeps (bad ram)
all other times sofar no beeps at all

Took vid card out and tested in other computer - worked fine
took Ram out and tested - worked fine
stuck harddrive in other computer as a slave and was able to acess it fine.
Checked CPU for damage - none visible

removed and replaced battery - no change
used CMOS wipe jumper - no change

tried switching on with nothing connected except video card, ram CPU and PSU (and switches and such) - no change

other strange thing is that when it just "hangs" i cant turn it off with the front switch (though normally i could do this if the machine was at the POST or such).

Only thing i can think of is that something could have come loose in the car.

Any help much appreciated

Greg S
06-07-2004, 02:02 PM
It's possible a hardrive read head came in contact with the hardrive's platter during transit. In which case you'll have some damaged sectors. If this is the case only a reformat and reinstall of Windows will help, from my experience. A full scandisk will of course be needed to exclude the befuddled sectors.

I faced this almost identical problem recently. But please don't take my word for it... hopefully someone else may come up with a less drastic solution

agent_24
06-07-2004, 02:06 PM
well thats the thing - i cant really re-install windows as the system won't even show the Video card details (what you normally see first off).

i have tried with no harddrive in at all, expecting a "no boot device" or similar error but still nothing.

bRaZZiN
06-07-2004, 02:35 PM
It's not just a ram stick out of place is it? Happened to me once, and I ended up pulling the computer totally apart to find out what was wrong... the damn thing had moved maybe 1mm, screwed up the whole pc.

Greg S
06-07-2004, 02:50 PM
> It's not just a ram stick out of place is it?
> Happened to me once, and I ended up pulling the
> computer totally apart to find out what was wrong...
> the damn thing had moved maybe 1mm, screwed up the
> whole pc.

Yeah - sounds like a connection issue. Double check all the cables' connections

agent_24
06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
I've tried re-connecting everything i can see but still it refuses to work.

agent_24
07-07-2004, 02:25 PM
what are the chances the motherboard is dead, considering nothing bad even happened to it??

agent_24
07-07-2004, 05:15 PM
******* UPDATE **********

after cleaning off the heatsink paste and carefully examining the CPU
I noticed that on one side of the die there seemed to be some small pieces that had come off.

I think my CPU is dead, probably due to the Volcano 9 and becuase of a bumpy car ride.

Its the Only explanation i can see so far.