PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing Adaptec Easy CD Creator data from CD back to hard drive

Misty
05-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Yesterday I noticed that somehow I had lost a directory from Outlook Express, oddly enough entitled "PressF1". I went back to my most recent backup disc which had been made using Adaptec Easy CD Creator v 4.05.

I have tried two ways of re-installing - (1) using Windows explorer, and (2) through the Easy CD Creator program. Each way seems to work fine but although a new directory entitled "PressF1" shows it is not picked up by Outlook Express, either when I refresh, or even re-boot. The directory looks identical to the others, same icon etc, and 'properties' show it is a DBX file - like the others. However when I look for it in Outlook Express - no show ! I have put it in the correct location definitely.

Have spent hours looking, checking - it is sending me batty !

Misty :(

Susan B
05-07-2004, 10:14 PM
What version of Windows Misty?

Try copying the pf1.dbx file to your hard drive first then remove the "read only" attribute from the file before copying it into the OE folder in Win Explorer.

Misty
06-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi Susan
I run Windows ME. I tried copying to the hard drive and then removing "read only". Then I moved the folder to the OE area in Windows Explorer but it still does not show in the program OE. I notice that all the files in that area, when you look at "Properties", they say 'opens with unknown application'.

Misty

Susan B
06-07-2004, 10:39 PM
OK, well it is a little fiddly getting .dbx files back into OE. I am sure there is a better, easier way to do things but I have done it this way:

In OE, create a Temp folder and move everything in the Inbox to the new Temp folder.

Rename the .dbx file you want to import to Inbox then with OE closed move it into the OE folder to replace the existing Inbox.dbx file. Once that is done you can create a new PressF1 folder within OE and move the contents from the Inbox (which should now contain your old PF1 emails) to the PF1 folder and shift the original Inbox emails from the Temp folder back into the Inbox.

Hopefully that will do the trick. It has been a while since I did it and like I say, there is probably an easier way but that's not my style. :p :D

I thought perhaps you could probably trying importing the temporary "Inbox" but I am not sure what the results of that would be so am hesitant to recommend it.

The other thing you could do is use DBXtract to access all the emails in your backup PF1 .dbx folder but that program will extract them to individual email files rather than put them in OE.

Misty
11-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi Susan
Eventually success -

>>>In OE, create a Temp folder and move everything in the Inbox to the new Temp folder. >

I created a new "Temp" folder, which appeared under "Local Folders". However when I tried to move the "Inbox" to the Temp folder then all that moved was the latest email in the Inbox. There are nineteen sub-directories in the Inbox and I have tried to highlight them all by using shift or identify each one by using Control - but no go. It appears that you cannot easily move the Inbox, that is probably a preventative measure. I also tried to highlight the sub-folders but that did not work either.

In the end therefore I just moved all of the individual emails in the Inbox to the Temp file and left the sub-directories where they were.

At first I tried to rename the PressF1 directory in the D Drive but could not do so as I got the message that it was read only. I opened up properties and tried to change the attributes but was not allowed to do that either.

I could not identify in Windows Explorer where the Inbox was, although I could see where the individual sub-directories were. I had followed the path - application data > identities > long code name > Microsoft > Outlook Express.

In the end I went back to Outlook Express and used File > Import and imported the folder from the D Drive. It now sits in the Local Folders under Deleted Items but as a separate folder. I guess to get it into the Inbox I need to create a new folder much the same name, then highlight and move all of the emails.

Anyway, somehow got there. Thanks Susan !!

Misty :) :)