PDA

View Full Version : W98se Errors

Poppa John
05-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Hello Folks,
Just recently these two error messages have appeared on screen during boot up.
1) "Could not locate INF file "D:\ content\win98se}wse finish inf " Does not stop boot up. What does it mean? Have put in the W98 CD disk & this file is not on it.
2)Error 7308 Loading Device Driver-"protman.dos" again does not stop boot up nor, apparently, affect the m/c. any help appreciated. PJ

beama
05-07-2004, 06:11 PM
has this pc been on a novell network because protman.dos according to google has somthing to do with novell check for a directory on your c:\ called Nwx_xx (X = any number)

wsefinish.inf
have you done any updates recently ie off the microsoft site or the free cd microsoft offered a while back a search on google seems to point at this

Murray P
05-07-2004, 06:18 PM
WSE is to do with MS's .net platform, see here (http://www.gazitt.com/OhmBlog/permalink.aspx/1cb861d2-5180-443f-95dc-ea0fdb75d65b). Have you upgraded or installed anything recently?

Cheers Murray P

Poppa John
05-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Beama, Has not been on a Novell network. The protman error started about a week ago. Can I just delete it?
WSE....Cannot swear to it, but this may have started after running the Free Disk from MS
We always check for updates for W98, even tho it's support is about to end.

Poppa John
05-07-2004, 09:14 PM
M P. WSE may well have come thro MS Updates. I read the link, is there an "English" version!!!!, it was all double dutch to me. Can I just delete these messages?? PJ

Murray P
05-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Try doing a search of the MS Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx) for WSE and your error.

You could try a cleanup programme like System Mechanic (free to try) or Norton System Doctor (think that's what it's called).

Cheers Murray P

45South
06-07-2004, 12:08 AM
1) "Could not locate INF file "D:\ content\win98se}wse finish inf " Does not stop boot up. What does it mean? Have put in the W98 CD disk & this file is not on it.

Same thing happened to me
This will have come from the Free MSoft Security CD
You may not have finished installing all the updates
Put the CD in the drive & reboot it will pick it up when loading Win98 & finish the install

beama
06-07-2004, 08:03 AM
> protman error started about a week ago. Can I just
> delete it?

Poppa
never just delete programs, it always better to uninstall them.
There are two things you could try actuially three

unistall that you refered to in delete

goto start..programs...startup if there is anything in there that you suspect maybe the cause remove it, keep it in the recycle bin you may have to put it back (mistakes do happen)

goto msconfig check for items in the startup tab that may refer to protman (path) remove the tick (you can put the tick back later) ( typein "msconfig" in the run box goto startup tab)

A question you sure you have the spelling right "protman" could it be progman, if it is progman is the windows 3.1X GUI yes its still in xp too type "progman" in the run command.
please post back im watching this thread

lastly do this goto run type in sysedit close all files except win.ini without making changes, tell me if there is a line which says "load=" what comess directly after the "=". as I said DO NOT make any changes to these files these are part of the 98 registry set

Poppa John
06-07-2004, 11:12 AM
45South &beama OK. Will look at this later today. Have chores to do first ( oranges to chop for marmalade), etc. Will come back later Thanks. PJ

godfather
06-07-2004, 11:54 AM
PJ, if you have been playing with MaryAnn's PC and have broken it, not only the oranges are for the chop!

Probably the grapes will be severed as well I suspect. Ouch!

Maryann
06-07-2004, 01:48 PM
How well you know PJ, "godfather". HOWEVER....he is actually innocent this time and as he is doing a good job of the marmalade, he's safe.
For the moment! Can't do with him "touching and tapping" with 98, as I can actually USE it at mo....even PRINT. ;)

Poppa John
06-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok, some progress so far I think. The message "Couldnot locate INF file " has gone. Found myself in "System Config Utiliy" General tab.Saw...Normal....Diagnostic.... Selective startup tick boxes.Selective was ticked, so moved it ti Normal Startup, load all device drivers & software. That now seems ok.

Back to "protman.dos". In sysedit I found 1) [protman$}
DriverName=protman$
priority=ndiship$
2) [windows]
load=
run=
nullport=none
device=EPSON Stylus C20Series, EPIJNL50,EPUSBI

Noyhing follows load= or run=

PJ

beama
06-07-2004, 11:33 PM
>Back to "protman.dos". In sysedit I found 1) [protman$}
>DriverName=protman$
>priority=ndiship$

sysedit will bring up many system files PJ
in which file did you find these entries
eg ein.ini, sys.ini or another one

Poppa John
07-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Beama. Started & stopped 98 computer 3 times this morning & no error messages of any kind !!!!!
protman was in C:\PROTOCOL.INI
Load= was in C:\WINDOWS/WIN.INI

This is all wierd!!!! PJ

Poppa John
07-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Beama.... Have just this minute booted both m/cs up. Protman error is still there. The first "Address" line C:\ etc ends "Net start" is that any help?? PJ

beama
07-07-2004, 07:44 PM
load = is ok as its not laoding any thing
protocol.ini i dont know anything about, Ill research it

beama
07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
pj
is that 98 machine on a network ?

godfather
07-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Protocol.ini is created at setup time by Windows 98

It resides in the C:/Windows directory and is part of the "real (DOS) mode network drivers, its a hangover from Windows 3.1

Interestingly the file exists in Windows XP but is an empty file.

Ghost and other drive imaging programs possibly create or use it when they reboot in a DOS mode to image the drive.

Undoubtably the problem was cured by the smell of Marmalade cooking, or the sight of that big knife PJ was using.

Poppa John
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Beama Yes the 98 is networked, via Realtek & router on Jetstream.

Dell/w98se & Sigma (Shopbuilt)/XP Home.

GF If we ever get to the SI we will shout you dinner at the best restaurant in "R", assuming there is a restaurant in that back of beyond, end of the world place !!!. Maryann says, " Enough with the marmalade, I want a car like his". Your'e in big trouble mister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ

beama
07-07-2004, 10:37 PM
> Beama Yes the 98 is networked, via Realtek & router
> on Jetstream.
>
> Dell/w98se & Sigma (Shopbuilt)/XP Home.
>
in that case I believe that this file loads some requiried drivers for your network is that 98 machine having any network related problems ie not seeing your router for example when you get this error meassage
donot edit this file
anyone else got any ideas

Poppa John
08-07-2004, 12:09 PM
beama.. The w98 has no problems on the network, or getting onto the Internet, with or without the XP computer being online. The error message goes away after 10 seconds & bootup carries on. I guess we can live with this. Thanks to you & all others for your patience & help. PJ

beama
08-07-2004, 12:16 PM
:) but ill keep this on my watch list and if I come up with somthing................