PDA

View Full Version : Instant messaging, chat progs.

beetle
04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
hi ya.

purely from a interest or noseyness this questions comes about.

i have no problems with these things at the moment. :p

was wondering how many people use or have on these things on their comps - IM devices ? and what brand you use and why?

do people use chat rooms? other than chatf1, ?

and on average how many contacts would be on your lists?

i dont use mine as much as i should i guess. i use trillian with msn and yahoo.

not meaning to annoy anyone or offend anyone here today either.

but some people swear off them, never used or wont use. while others have heaps of people on their contacts and are lost without them.

beetle

caffy
04-07-2004, 09:32 PM
> was wondering how many people use or have on these
> things on their comps - IM devices ? and what brand
> you use and why?

I have MSN 6.2, Yahoo, and Trillian

> do people use chat rooms? other than chatf1, ?

Nope, prefer the instant messaging programmes

> and on average how many contacts would be on your
> lists?

on MSN (in Trillian) I have 193 contacts) and yahoo has about 43 contacts

> but some people swear off them, never used or wont
> use. while others have heaps of people on their
> contacts and are lost without them.

Well for me it's my way of keeping in touch with many overseas friends (and NZ friends too of course). I am not the type of person to send out a mass distribution of emails, keeping everyone updated about what I've been up to. It's easier to tell the people online, and instantly.

And I can talk to heaps of people at the same time. Another factor is the fact that I am deaf, so calling my hearing friends on the phone is not possible (although it will be soon, when the TTY relay service is set up).

beetle
04-07-2004, 09:39 PM
wow thats a lot of contacts, shows i have no life and no friends it seems, as i have about 15 all up and dont talk them an awful lot, some maybe not at all anymore.....:( for various reasons, and not getting at anybody, just dont have time much, or on at the right time maybe.

that has blown me away..... mind boggles at that many.....

thank you,

beetle

caffy
04-07-2004, 09:44 PM
you're welcome.

Am on in Chatf1, with megaman, if you want to join us there?

beetle
05-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanxs caffy,

and so nobody else chats ? or IM's????

thats interesting then.... :p

any comments?

beetle

MrBeef
05-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Yeh i use instant messagers..

MSN (120 or so contacts) and yahoo and ICQ (sometimes)

Ladybug
05-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Yahoo Messanger is the only one I have - thats enough.

I have a few I talk to regular but a few that dont appear to use theirs anymore for some reason or other so if they dont talk after a certain amount of time they get deleted, thus keeping my list manageable.

I would not be without it.

caffy
07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Sorry to bring this up again,

But I was wondering, of those who use instant messaging programmes...how much of the contacts, on your list, do you know personally? Like you have either met, or know through friends?

I would say, for me, on MSN I know 80-90% of my contacts personally. They are mainly people I have met, and a few others are friends of people I have met. The other 10-20% would probably be people I've met randomly in chatrooms, forums etc.

Yahoo - only 5-10% I know personally, the others I met in the yahoo chatrooms...don't talk to these people very much.

Cheers,
caffy :)

Jams
07-07-2004, 03:18 PM
hehe.

MSN is 6 and above is the most disgusting IM client known to man.
its a pitty i dont run windows. instead i use OS X Panther 10.3.3, and use Proteus for my IM client. and i use Colloquy for my Chat Client.

i have about 40 ppl on my list, and about 10 are conencted at any time.

cheers
Jams

R2x1
07-07-2004, 05:01 PM
ICQ, 7 people, 4 are people I know personally, the rest are web-met.
Tried MSN, and nearly got the terminal chunder attack.

R2

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-07-2004, 05:05 PM
I use Trillian pretty much exclusively for Yahoo, ICQ and MSN - occasionally I use AIM to talk to a couple of US-ites. Trillian's great as it's lightweight, has a load of extra useful features, supports the basics without the bloat, no ads - and of course one program for all mediums.

We run an internal IRC server at work for inter-office comms which is used pretty heavily (large staff and building - it makes life easier).

R2x1
07-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Okay WTF, now I'm a Trillian fan as well. the lack of bloat is a winner with me.
Thanks,
R2

beetle
08-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Trillian is the best, for me that is, i wouldnt be without it.

it would be on the list of first things to install on a new comp. or reformatted one.

beetle