PDA

View Full Version : Which cordless phone type with wireless & ADSL

john r
04-07-2004, 06:43 PM
I have a home wireless network and ADSL internet on the phone line and find my present Uniden XCAI680 cordless phone suffers from poor volume and interference.
Which is the best Frequency range to buy to get away from all the stuff flying around my house.
My present Uniden is in the 39-40 Mhz range,I quite like the Uniden DSS 6425 its in the 2.4 Mhz Feq range has anybody used this model.
Any info much appreciated,I am off to work now so I will not be unable to reply till 4.00am,
Thanks,
John.

Pheonix
04-07-2004, 06:50 PM
The WiFi networks run either on 2.4GHz (most common) or 5GHz. So you may have to see if you can trial the phone first.

godfather
04-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Wireless networking will also likely use 2.4 GHz RF spectrum, so I would perhaps look at the DECT type of cordless phone that does not use 2.4 GHz.

Typically DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telephone) systems use 1.8 - 1.9 GHz frequencies.

john r
05-07-2004, 03:42 AM
Thank you for your replies,
I had forgotten the wireless is 2.4Ghz,also the baby monitor is an other source of interference,I will look at pricing for DECT cordless.
Cheers,
John.

John H
05-07-2004, 10:34 AM
2.4Gb phones are not necessarily a no-no in my experience. I bought my current Uniden WDECT2310 2.4Gb phone from DSE, and it sits on my desk less than a metre away from my Wireless Access Point.

The salesman at DSE said to make sure the WAP was running when I first fired up the phone, and that it will detect the WAP and the channel it is running on, and then select a channel that does not conflict with the WAP.

That seems to be the case. I have had trouble in the past few months with intermittent dropping of the wireless network, and as part of my testing to find out what the problem was I have depowered the phone, including taking the batteries out of the handset, and it has made no difference. My phone and WAP are both working together quite amicably.

John

john r
05-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks John,
I have been looking at the twin pack WDECT 2315 Uniden.do you know what the W means for this DECT model.
Regards,
John.

John H
05-07-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't I am sorry, but according to Tricky Dicky, it means:

"Wide band DECT means longer range (up to 600m line of sight), increased clarity and security."

I guess it means Wide band! I would have gone for the 2315 too if it had been out at the time. I cannot add a second handset to this one. Those prices are way below the equivalent panasonic phones.

Personally I have had a good run out of Uniden. The earlier cordless phones were great when they first came out, but their range was limited and then everyone in the neighbourhood got one so the interference was shocking. I have had three Uniden phones (two DECT and now this WDECT 2310) and they have all been great.

John

john r
05-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks again John,
I also have been happy with the Uniden product,my old one still works fine,I will try to sell it in local buysell paper might buy one of the 2315 sets and try it from DSE,if its no good I can at least return it no problem.
John.

arronp
05-07-2004, 04:16 PM
I was actually having similar problems with my old Uniden (cant remember the model) and purchased a Panasonic - only to find that I still had problems. I talked to Panasonic and it actually turned out to be a known problem with Dynalink ADSL line filters. I purchased a Nokia line filter for that jack - and haven't had any problems since. :)

Susan B
05-07-2004, 04:26 PM
> I purchased a Nokia line filter for that jack - and haven't had any problems since.

Would "that jack" be the one that the phone plugs into? Is it separate from, or does it share with the ADSL cable as well (ie double adaptor plug)?

godfather
05-07-2004, 06:06 PM
When I moved to ADSL, I was told to only use the Nokia in-line filters as the others were not as good.

That was by DSE in ChCh (Columbo St), who kept a supply of them "in the back room" but not on the official stock.

It appears they actually did know about this type of issue.

Mine are an in-line filter, not a double adapter type