PDA

View Full Version : Micro slow downs

sarel
02-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Hiya People

Firstly a feedback - remember I had a Hijacker on board and nothing could delete it. The next update to CWShredder will have something of this bug in it.

Next question: WinME, P2, 355MHZ. My PC seems to slow down randomly for a second or two - not actually freezing, but slowing down (even mouse movements slow down) I call thsi a micro freeze but it does not stop totally as with a freeze. Now I've done all the checking with current programmes running in the background (I thought it must be a virus proggie). Inactivated each one and checked again. No luck. Checked RAM - no problems. Susan mentioned that because I had two anti-virus proggies (one inactive) I may have problems but when I checked it out - no problems. Mouse - no problems. Keyboard - AOK. CPU temperatures - no probs. No virus, worm, etc.etc.

Somebody else got a suggestion what I can check next?

Thanks guys

Sarel

kiwibeat
02-07-2004, 08:31 AM
How much ram do you have 256 is good

sarel
02-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Yep - got max RAM (256), 10 Gig HD

stu120404
02-07-2004, 11:08 AM
> Now I've done all the
> checking with current programmes running in the
> background (I thought it must be a virus proggie).
> Inactivated each one and checked again. No luck.
> Checked RAM - no problems. Susan mentioned that
> t because I had two anti-virus proggies (one
> inactive)

Have you tried removing one of them & see if that help or not?

As it is not recommended to have two Anti-Virus proggie on the computer at the same time.

Also is the Anti-Virus proggie up-to-date?

BIFF
02-07-2004, 11:48 AM
The symptoms you describe sound a lot like either your hard drive or your CD-ROM drive are running in PIO mode. Have a look at the Primary and secondary IDE controller properties in Device Manager.
I have also seen this when a sound card is sharing an IRQ with another device.

sarel
02-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Yup - as I said I tried to remove every single program running, including both anti-virus proggies - and yeah, all my proggies (anti-virus, Spayware, malware) are up to date. I am running AVG full time and the Etrust Antivirus (not activated though, only as backup). Which of the two is the best - or is there better free AV's around?

Funny thing though, starting the PC in Safe mode does not change anything - and that's why I thought it could be RAM or something else - not software.

sarel
02-07-2004, 11:55 AM
BIFF, what should I be looking for - sharing of IRQ's?

What should I do about the HD then? Also, I never fiddle around on my PC, that means I haven't changed any setting anywhere for a long time - how will the CD-ROM drive change to PIO (whatever that means)

BIFF
02-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi there

I haven't used Windows 9x or ME for years so I'll sort of have to guess how to do this.
To check that your devices are using DMA (rather than PIO) Right click My Computer and click properties. You can then click the Devices tab. In the tree there will be somthing like 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers'. Drill down into it and you should see something like 'Primary IDE Channel' and Secondary IDE Channel' Double click each and click the Advanced Settings Tab (If present) You should see a field entitled 'Current Transfer Mode'
check it's using a DMA mode for transfer. Have a hunt around in there as it might not be specifically on that tab though. If you have an older Intel IDE controller chipset you might not even configure it in Device Manager (You use a thing called Application Accelerator).
While you are in Device Manager look out for anything with a Yellow Exclaimation mark on it, as that will indicate a problem with that device.

tommy
02-07-2004, 01:54 PM
May be a long shot but if you have Microsoft Office installed it could be the Find Fast utility starting up, though I would not have expected that in Safe Mode. If you do have Find Fast it is a good idea to remove it as it is the cause of a lot of problems. See this page. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q199/7/87.ASP&NoWebContent=1)

sarel
05-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks Biff - yes it was a shared IRQ with the sound card - but in my case it was with my mouse (??). Fixed it up and no problems since

Thanks for all the help guys

Sarel