PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 2 copies?

bk T
02-07-2004, 01:09 AM
A friend of mine has a computer with 2 copies of XP Pro installed - an English version and the other is Chinese. They are installed in different partitions of his HDD.

Is it OK to have 2 versions of Windows in 1 machine?

Murray P
02-07-2004, 01:27 AM
As long as they are managed at boot up I don't think there should be any more problems than you can encounter with dual booting any other OS. He is dual booting isn't he, otherwise it could get messy if it worked at all.

Cheers Murray P

paulw
02-07-2004, 09:32 AM
I have 3 in mine. Win98se and two Win2K partitions.

drcspy
02-07-2004, 10:11 AM
multi boot is not difficult

Mzee
03-07-2004, 03:13 AM
XP will set up a multiboot menu.
If I was you I would have 2 primary partitions with XP on each, & manage it with "Boot Magic" which simply hides the unwanted partition. So far as the computer is concerned, it only sees one primary partition at a time.

KingWave
03-07-2004, 04:13 AM
Why do you even need to hide the other partition? I don't think its necessary at all.

Mzee
04-07-2004, 09:00 PM
It is possible to have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, but only one can be active at a time, the others are hidden. This is what the boot managers take advantage of. The partition you select is made 'active' and the others hide.
Windows has to be on a primary partition.
Linux can be placed anywhere, & does not need hiding because Windows can not see it anyway.

Rod J
04-07-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm dual booting Win98SE and WinXP Home. It's a great way to try out another operating system rather than committing oneself totally. You can always reboot to your favourite OS if things get too confusing! ;)

The ResinMaster
05-07-2004, 01:19 AM
I dual boot Windows XP, no partitions are hidden (No Need) I work from one partition, The other has no backround apps anti virus or any thing like that, the reason? Gaming on power and memory goes into playing the game, more power less crashes

Marty