PDA

View Full Version : Can we organise a text file with hardware and O/S

Elephant
01-07-2004, 11:22 PM
PressF1 is a good place to post questions I feel.

Questions pop up (sorry) from time to time.

As a person that would like answer the questions I would like to help.

Usually I need to ask the original poster several questions before I can help at all.

These questions normally are:-
What operating system?
What Motherboard Make and Model?
What Modem?
What ISP?
What browser?
What E-mail client?
etc.

Outlook comes to mind in a big way. Outlook as opposed to Outlook Express. The two are entirely different. These act diiferently depending on your operating system and whether Office is installed or not. MSOffice parts can be installed and once again this depends on the O/s and office and whether or not you use Linux or have a P75 using MS_DOS or DR_Dos.

Take it that you buy a digital camera for example:

You have Paint Shop Pro at the time for example.
So why install EVERYTHING that comes with the camera?

Anyway. Is there a way of people finding out the hardware that may be relevant to a question?

Aida, Sisoft Sandra come to mind for me.

Go find out what hardware you have and paste into a text file. I don't think that I want to read the WHOLE file on every post. It may help people here to help you though.

For me I just look at the posts and figure I can help immediately or I need to search.

I know this sort of thread has been mentioned in the past.

People were against this sort of post at that time and I must admit that for some people this may not be easy.

If you go buy a computer then you SHOULD get a Motherbord Manual. You should get a driver disk containing all drivers for all hardware you got with the computer. Keep all manuals, disks etc in a safe place.

Hopefully you get a full or OEM version of the O/S with the computer you paid for. Recovery disks do work and put your computer back in the condition it was when the day you paid for it.

If you want to change hardware then the recovery disks will ( or may not) work.

beama
02-07-2004, 12:06 AM
maybe this sort of information could be inputed when a new user is setup, I have been considering putting my hardware spec's into "location" part of my profile or maybe put a topic on this subject in the help area of PF1 (checks to see if its not already there because he hasnt read it yet :8} ) "what information to include when when requesting help"

Murray P
02-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Baldy

A simple way to get around a good few of the basic questions but not the whole nine yards is:

When you go into the "POST NEW TOPIC" to post a new topic funnily enough (genius at work here, be very carefull ;), why can't there be in BIG BOLD RED FONT something like PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM, SOFTWARE NAME & VERSION THAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM AND/OR HARDWARE VERSION AND WHAT YOU HAVE TRIED SO FAR or something like that.

The addition to the profile would be very handy as long as people kept it up to date.

BTW, sorry for the caps folks, purely illustrative although, it's kinda nice to get things of your chest with a silent scream every now and then :D

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
02-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Elephant, please accept my humblest apologies for getting you moniker wrong. Not that my apologies are particularly humble, it's the best that I can do ;)

Cheers Murray P

kiki
02-07-2004, 12:48 AM
> moniker

I've heard that word mentioned several times throughout the forum, what does it mean? Can't be a typo the K is too far from the T so...

Elephant
02-07-2004, 12:50 AM
> Elephant, please accept my humblest apologies for
> getting you moniker wrong. Not that my apologies are
> particularly humble, it's the best that I can do ;)
I didn't scream silently. I just posted.
Apology accepted humble or not.

My feeling is there has to be a way of getting the message across so that we don't get a question like "My computer is broken" and I don't have to ask have you dropped in the floor or chucked it out a mult-storied building.

You know the sort of thing I mean.

Elephant
02-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Moniker = Name.

Not to be confused with Moniter or Monitor.

Murray P
02-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Silent scream = CAPS. I meant my post, not having a crack at yours, now you mention it though.....

Cheers Murray ;P

beetle
02-07-2004, 03:09 PM
have we not been down this track before ????

?:|

seem to recall this type of thread happening before and no progress made on it.

beetle

R2x1
02-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Once enough people start going up and down a road, something will happen at the end of the road (probably confusion). It all sounds like a good idea, trouble is, the people who don't RTFM don't tend to read much else either once panic sets in.
R2

beetle
02-07-2004, 03:31 PM
R2 what manual would that be again????:p

not sure if i have one of those....

:D

beetle

R2x1
02-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Why, the "Fine" manual of course, though some items have "Friendly" manuals. ( I assume that's what it means :) )
R2

Murray P
02-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah, it's not likely to be resolved completely but it could be a bit better hence we're picking over the bones again. Don't see any reason to stop trying because nothing has been done by the mod's/admin (a trial maybe). If you can't post without having certain basic info in the heading that might make a difference even if it just empties the forum :D

Cheers Murray P

Mike
03-07-2004, 09:14 AM
> trial maybe). If you can't post without having
> certain basic info in the heading that might make a
> difference even if it just empties the forum :D

We have been down this road before, and while it may be easy for some of us, this is supposed to be a newbie friendly site, which is why it is so basic to create an account to ask a question. There are plenty of people out there using their computers that have absolutely no idea even what Windows version they're running, let alone what CPU/motherboard/video card might be sitting inside their "CPU" (as most of them seem to call it).

Perhaps to have it as optional entry in the profile after their account is set up, for those who might know a little about their system setup, but to have it as part of the registration might just make it a little too daunting for some people (the people we're here to help!).

Mike.

Jen C
03-07-2004, 09:55 AM
> but to
> have it as part of the registration might just make
> it a little too daunting for some people (the people
> we're here to help!).

Well said Mike. :)

Yes, it can make life more difficult when answering posts if certain vital information is missing, but you only need to prompt them (in a friendly fashion) for the extra information, including giving instructions on how to find this out if necessary.

If the person has posted a few times previously, I often go back through their old posts looking for the information myself (eg what OS), and then just give a friendly reminder about providing that information in future.

Also, don't forget most problems are software based, so you sometimes will need to get further information about what combination of programs/versions are installed to help with the solution. It would be very impractical to maintain a list of installed software.

One solution would be to have a FAQ on how to find out about your system. Keep it simply and just have instructions on how to use Windows Help to display the details. If more detailed hardware information (modem chipsets etc) are required, then include a couple of links to popular, easy to use 3rd party System Information programs. Only problem with this, is that some people never look at the FAQ's anyway :p

Don't forget we are here to help people with widely varying levels of experience, and no one should be made to feel too intimidated to post because they can't answer what graphic card they have (or even what that is), or if they have XP with SP1 :)

Murray P
03-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Good points Mike & Jen. I still think some prominently displayed pointers on what to include with a post and where to find answers to these would be helpful, even it if it picks up just a few of the new(er) posters. It may also give some a feeling of empowerment and control of their computer or current situation.

And, as I've been going on about this, perhaps I should write the draft FAQ for scrutiny.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
03-07-2004, 03:27 PM
The problem with FAQs is that they are (very much like the Fine Manuals) frequently not Read. ;-)

Murray P
03-07-2004, 06:04 PM
> The problem with FAQs is that they are (very much
> like the Fine Manuals) frequently not Read.
> ;-)

Your right, of course, Graham. We need new things to grizzle about though and RTFM is getting a bit old hat, a freshen up if you like, we could have a new or alternative acronym. RTFF has a certain ring to it and if you think about it is quiet versatile ;)

Cheers Murray P