PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home Continual Rebooting

Obelix
30-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Heya all,

My Samsung 352B combo drive was not reading DVD's. The kids had been on the computer so I thought I would delete the drive in the device manager and let the computer re-install it on reboot.

Now when I reboot, the computer gets to the desktop, but still appears to be loading something (HDD led flashing), and then reboots again, and again, and again, and again.............

I disconnected my Samsung 252B CDRW to see if this was the problem, but the problem persisted.

I have now disconnected both CD drives and the system has started fine.

Any suggestions as to where my problem may lie.

Peter

Rod J
30-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi Obelix,

Well, I think you have pretty much detected the problem yourself. It certainly seems like the problem is in the 352B drive itself. You proved that by disconnected the 252B drive (problem persisted), disconnected both drives (problem went away). The fact that the drive earlier had not been working properly (not reading DVD's) might also indicate a hardware failure. Windows hasn't been able to successfully install the drivers for the 352B so that is why it probably continually reboots.

I hope the 352B is still under warranty ;)

Cheers,
Rod.

Obelix
01-07-2004, 03:57 PM
I have found that part of the problem was AFS2K.sys, which possibly has been corrupted. Although I have searched the net for an answer, I am still unsure as to which package has installed this program, so that I can re-install it and see if this fixes the problem.

Rod J
01-07-2004, 10:27 PM
OK, it seems there are issues with this driver file AFS2K.sys ... I found this page (http://www.k0lee.com/dc3000/) describing problems with HP optical drives and this file, and you can go here (http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=DownloadQualifiedAfsinst#) to download the latest version of it too. There is a quite a bit of info on this page about the AFS system too.

A quote from this page: "Why do I have your driver?
The AFS/AFS2k driver is a part of a CD Recording engine from Oak Technology, Inc., (now Zoran, Inc.), maintained by Simpli Software, Inc. This CD Recording engine is used in several software applications. Your computer may have been shipped with one of these applications.

Please contact us if you need help determining which application installed on your computer uses the AFS/AFS2k driver."

Hope this is helpful to you,
Rod.