PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Blocking Websites

Reevey
28-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Has anyone suffered Telecom Xtra blocking websites? I had the strange experience of a couple of websites becoming unavailable a few weeks ago after I rebooted my router. It took me ages to work out it was an Xtra issue. Their Helpdesk tell me they were allocated a range of IP addresses that get blocked by some websites. When I rebooted my router I was issued one of these IP addresses. They suggested I try rebooting my router in the hope of picking up an older IP address or try using their proxy server (proxy.xtra.co.nz)....the latter worked for one of the awol sites only.....!!! I'm no techy in this area so don't understand what the issue is but they say they can't promise when a resolution will occur....!!! I sure wish I didn't reboot my router...!!!! Thank you Telecom!!

godfather
28-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Read about it here: (http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/9714DEA906A63445CC256E7C00124349)

Reevey
28-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Awesome......thanks very much for the response.....all is now clear

Supertrooper
30-06-2004, 11:14 AM
This is "par for the course" sort of attitude of Telecom. Not only do they block websites but they censor newsgroups and decide what you will and won't have access to, like some sort of Nazi dictatorship.
And all the while they rave on about how wonderful their products and systems are and what a great deal you're getting - meanwhile fleecing you of a lot of $ and giving you sweet FA in return.
But who am I to judge...

Jester
30-06-2004, 01:57 PM
> This is "par for the course" sort of attitude of
> Telecom. Not only do they block websites but they
> censor newsgroups and decide what you will and won't
> have access to, like some sort of Nazi dictatorship.
> And all the while they rave on about how wonderful
> their products and systems are and what a great deal
> you're getting - meanwhile fleecing you of a lot of $
> and giving you sweet FA in return.
> But who am I to judge...

ummm, no. The sites hosting the websites you are trying to access are blocking the 222. IP addresses, not Telecom. You could say that Telecom issued the 222 range of IP addresses before they were widely accepted on the web, but you can't say that Telecom are blocking access, as that is incorrect. Read the article on that link posted in the earlier reply.

J
:D

Murray P
30-06-2004, 02:10 PM
It seems to be more like a lot of duck shoving from all concerned, ISP's websites. It should be a simple matter of the ISP's informing the errant sites, problem solved. I doubt the sites themselves are happy that users are blocked so, I can only imagine that something else is going on here that is not being mentioned up front.

You would think with a little bit of for thought and planning that this type of issue would not arise except perhaps in exceptional circumstances but, some of the sites are major players not some back woods un-managed site.

It's reminds me of the peering issue, power plays between providers with no thought to the user or more cynically using the user as a pawn to your own end. What advantage any provider would have in not sorting this issue is beyond me though.

Cheers Murray P

tech
19-07-2004, 04:46 PM
The ISPs do inform the websites concerned if you log it with them. www.macoshints.com for instance weren't even aware of it (was so long ago) and happily unblocked it. Telecom did not issue them early or whatever, they became a valid IP range and were then assigned, just some websites hae not heard the news cause they dont pay attention.

stu120404
19-07-2004, 05:13 PM
> The ISPs do inform the websites concerned if you log
> it with them.

also some ISP also donít pay attention as well e.g. Xtra as I e-mail them a month or so back about a website I cant access & I have had no reply either :(

Why cant Telecom used a different IP range or ask Apnic to get that IP rang useable!

Growly
19-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Where have I seen this all before?!

mikebartnz
20-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Had a case recently with someone using Xtra as their dialup ISP but their Web site hosted elsewhere. They went to update their web site and it couldn't be found. Had no problem on my PC using a different ISP so went around and entered the IP numbers for the site in the hosts file hence bypassing Xtra's DNS servers and everything worked.
They had been doing the update weekly for years with no problem. Being on dialup I don't think this was related to the above.

stu120404
20-07-2004, 03:08 PM
> Had no problem on my PC using a different ISP
> so went around and entered the IP numbers for the
> site in the hosts file hence bypassing
> Xtra's DNS servers and everything worked.

Can you tell me how to do that? & would it work for a computer on a network?

mikebartnz
20-07-2004, 04:36 PM
>Can you tell me how to do that? & would it work for a computer on a network?
Below is an example of my hosts file found in the \Windows directory in Win9x and \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc (why I will never know) in 2k & XP. I don't know that there would be a lot to gain on a local network.
The risk in using this method is if an IP changes then strange things could happen eg. you might end up at an unusual site.

# Created by Hostess 2.10 on 09/29/2002 23:33:00

#***********************************************
#
# Before adding these
# entries to your hosts file, please visit
# www.smartin-designs.com/hosts_info.htm
#
# Known problem sites can be found in the
# #Not for everyone Section
#
#
#***********************************************