PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr - Windows or motherboard?

Growly
28-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Ok this brand new Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe is fine - but windows has been crapping out. Crashing randomly, freezing, the usual.

My problem is that it was working perfectly for a about two days, then when i turned it on my Gigabit LAN (on the motherboard) was gone and windows detected it but couldn't find the drivers - did all the usual bung driver stuff), so I restarted the computer and it was fine.

Is this windows?

I'm sure it is - but I want a second opinion.

andrew93
28-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi Growly
After all your hassles getting the new mobo, sorry to hear you are having trouble. Have you tried a RAM tester? The random crashes and freezes could be due to faulty RAM. One way to know for sure is to download MemTest86 from here (http://www.memtest86.com) - create a bootable floppy, restart the PC and let it run its course.
HTH

andrew93
28-06-2004, 06:18 PM
My apologies Growly, I see from previous posts you are aware of MemTest et al. ;)

Shaun Minfie
28-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Did you try the re install in the end?

Heres the order I install

Raid drivers if you even think your gonna need em
Win XP (sp1)
DirectX 9.0b (my mb drivers need it before they will install
latest MB drivers. All of em.
ATI or Nvidia drivers.

Consider as well a BIOS flash. It may fix some issues.

Shaun

Growly
29-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys so much for your replies -

I think ill do that like you did shaun,it seems really well orientated to suit windows' moods. ill run memtest again (cheers andrew) too.

Thanks guys.

kiki
29-06-2004, 03:45 PM
> Heres the order I install
> Raid drivers if you even think your gonna need em
> Win XP (sp1)
> DirectX 9.0b (my mb drivers need it before they will install
> latest MB drivers. All of em.
> ATI or Nvidia drivers.

I found the other day when installing windows that I didn't install all the motherboard drivers before SP1. And after I had installed SP1 the motherboard driver cd wouldn't even load, it would just die with an error everytime. So useless.

Anyway Growly, you might have some driver issues which is causing instability, so have you downloaded all the latest from the Asus site?

What about temperatures on your CPU etc?

Growly
29-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Temperatures all normal - drivers latest. Well, the latest the site gives me. In my experience, the Asus site isnt terribly up to date....